Luke March resigns as Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority’s compliance officer after apparent clash over transparency guidelines Parliament’s troubled expenses watchdog suffered a fresh blow on Wednesday when a senior official resigned after an apparent clash over transparency guidelines. Luke March resigned as the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority’s (Ipsa) compliance officer a week after he declined to name MPs facing investigations over their expenses. His resignation followed an interview with the Press Association last week in which he said it would be “unfair” to identify MPs before any allegations are proved. He indicated that there should be no publicity if they are cleared, though wrongdoers would be identified. March’s resignation appears to follow a debate within Ipsa over the guidelines to the 2009 Parliamentary Standards Act, which set up the body . These said that there would be an assumption that details of a full investigation would be published, though this would be at the discretion the compliance officer. In a letter to Sir Ian Kennedy, the Ipsa chair, March wrote: “Thank you for your time earlier today. As I explained during our conversation, after much thought and with a good deal of regret, I have come to the conclusion that the role of compliance officer for Ipsa is not the right role for me. On that basis, I have decided that the sensible thing for me to do is to resign the post. “So please accept this letter as formal notification of my resignation from the post effective from today. May I wish you and the other board members the very best in taking Ipsa forward.” Kennedy replied: “Thank you for your letter of 27 July and for notice of your resignation from the post of compliance officer. I accept, with regret, and understand your conclusion that the role is not the right one for you. I know you did not reach this conclusion lightly or hastily. I should like to take this opportunity to thank you for your efforts over recent months and to wish you well for the future.” Martyn Taylor is to serve as interim compliance officer for an initial period of six months. Kennedy told MPs earlier this year that preliminary investigations had been launched into the expenses of 40 MPs since the general election. It had been assumed that their details would be published. But March, who succeeded the interim compliance officer Alan Lockwood in June, told the Press Association he would be publishing details until wrongdoing was proven. “The reason why I am not [publishing] now is that we are doing this all for the first time,” he said. “One of the things that makes me nervous is the lack of proportionality. Compared to the previous world some of the things we are looking at are relatively small. “But the system does not make any distinction between major problems and trivial mistakes. Quite a lot of these cases I am referring to have resulted in immediate resolution.” March said that some of the allegations were related to mistakes by Ipsa. “I wanted to be fair to all sides,” he said. ‘”With an MP their reputation is important. I am meeting MPs every week and it is like walking on thin ice. “They are terrified that I might have the wrong idea about a particular fact, even if it is just about a small claim. I do not feel confident with the information that I have got at the moment. I would be very concerned about publishing allegations against MPs which may not be true. I want to be absolutely certain before I publish anything that I have got the facts.” MPs’ expenses House of Commons Nicholas Watt guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …The plant, set up to supply fuel for nuclear, will be shut as a consequence of Fukushima, with the loss of about 600 jobs The MOX fuel plant at Sellafield will be closed on Wednesay afternoon, with the loss of about 600 jobs. The closure is a consequence of the Fukushima incident in Japan , in March. Workers at the plant were told on Wednesday morning that there was “considerable scope” for them to be re-employed in other parts of the Sellafield complex. It will take several months for the plant to close fully. The West Cumbrian mixed-oxide fuel plant has cost the taxpayer £1.4bn since it was commissioned in the early 1990s. The plant, operated by the government-owned Nuclear Decomissioning Authority , was set up to create mixed-oxide fuel for use in nuclear power plants, with its chief customers the Japanese nuclear industry, including the Fukushima complex. The plant was built in 1996 and became operational in 2001. NDA denied there were any repercussions for the troubled Thorp reprocessing plant , although Thorp is also involved in generating MOX fuel, which is made from plutonium and uranium. The announcement will officially be made public at 2.30pm on Wednesday afternoon. Nuclear power Energy Energy industry Japan disaster Japan Fiona Harvey guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …British actor Dominic Cooper talks about playing two real-life Iraqi characters, Saddam Hussein’s son and his look-alike, in the action drama ‘The Devil’s Double.’ (Aug. 3)
Continue reading …Investigators who charged a Georgia man with killing his third wife and dumping her body in a well are taking another look at the circumstances of his first wife’s apparent suicide, authorities said Tuesday. (August 3)
Continue reading …Passengers Who Voice “Arrogant Complaining” Over TSA Are Possible Terrorists Mica on Ineffective TSA Program dbph says: RT @ SecurityHumor : “So … what are you wearing?” #awkward RT @ govcomputernews : Before pat-downs, TSA tries ‘chat-downs’ in Boston http://ow.ly/1e4iBs
Continue reading …Weight Watcher’s Week 1 Results!! 11 Steps to Effective Weight Loss Weight Watchers MASSIVE FOOD HAUL!!! Camille_Ob12 says: Eddy Curry Before & After Weight Watchers Pic!!!!!!!!! | NBADraft.net: Specializing in drafts with top players o… http://bit.ly/q148XY
Continue reading …Max Keiser – ‘America will lose its sovereignty’ SAP World Tour Activa Healthcare Testimonial Video.flv iPhone 5 Design Pictures Conformed 7kdsakuyawo says: Google Analytics Changes How They Track Google Image Search http://t.co/nR99Vyn
Continue reading …Here they are folks. Months after we first got our hands on pre-release Torch and Bold Touch handsets, RIM is finally ready to show off its latest hardware . They’re all powered by a 1.2GHz processor, have 768MB of onboard RAM and — most importantly — run the latest operating system BB OS7. RIM claims its new OS is 40 percent faster at browsing compared to OS6-based smartphones, and 100 percent faster than OS5 handsets. It also supports RIM’s Liquid Graphics technology, which uses a dedicated graphics processor for smoother scrolling, zooming and panning. Hands-on impressions follow after the break, and stay tuned because we’re updating this with more info from the London launch event as we get it, with full galleries and a hands-on video following imminently. Gallery: Blackberry Torch 9810 hands-on Gallery: Blackberry Torch 9860 hands-on Gallery: Blackberry Bold 9900 hands-on Gallery: BlackBerry Torch 9850/9860, 9810 press shots Continue reading RIM launches three new handsets, Torch 9810, Torch 9860 and Bold 9900, we go hands-on! RIM launches three new handsets, Torch 9810, Torch 9860 and Bold 9900, we go hands-on! originally appeared on Engadget on Wed, 03 Aug 2011 06:44:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink
Continue reading …Descubre goolPro Descubre goolPremium Descubre goolLite ryanfeeley says: RT @ ak209 : I just saw a GoogleMaps car driving south on Jones @ Gerrard – I made sure to wave at it.
Continue reading …