Amy Winehouse’s funeral was today, and ex-husband Blake Fielder-Civil was not granted prison leave in order to attend, the Sun reports. Nor will Fielder-Civil get anything from Winehouse, a source tells the Daily Mail : Winehouse reportedly left him out of her will to ensure he won’t get a penny of…
Continue reading …In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid challenged Republicans to back his competing legislation, arguing that the no-taxes, government-cuts proposal was just what they wanted. (July 26)
Continue reading …The conservative commentator has compared the Norwegian summer camp, where many of the 76 victims tragically died, to the Hitler Youth organization of Nazi Germany. Beck said on his radio show that the Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utoya, where 68 people were believed killed by the suspect Anders Behring Breivik, had “disturbing”
Continue reading …With the lockout over, the NFL will return to London for a fifth straight year. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will play the Chicago Bears at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 23 in the fifth regular-season game in the British capital. The game had been under threat because of negotiations over a…
Continue reading …Illegal immigrants will be eligible for privately-funded college scholarships in California under a bill signed into law yesterday by Gov. Jerry Brown. The bill, known as the California Dream Act, is aimed at undocumented students who have received a high school diploma after attending at least three years of high…
Continue reading …News 12 Long Island’s Christine Insinga got the shock of a lifetime when she showed up to a woman’s house to ask questions about an incident involving the woman’s baby. Insigna was reportedly tracking down the mother, who, according to reports left her infant locked in the backseat of her car without rolling down the windows on a hot day. Insinga knocked on the woman’s front and was met by having… Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : The Blaze Discovery Date : 26/07/2011 12:51 Number of articles : 3
Continue reading …City disappointed by falling manufacturing output and weak consumer demand, fuelling fears of return to recession The City was braced for the UK economy to grow by little more than 1% this year after the latest figures for national output showed that Britain’s deepest and longest postwar recession is being followed by the slowest recovery since the Great Depression of the 1930s. Analysts predicted the Treasury would be forced to cut its growth estimate after gross domestic production data showed that activity increased by just 0.2% in the second quarter of 2011 – after flatlining in the previous six months. Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed the level of activity still almost 4% below the peak in early 2008, with no sign of the rebalancing of growth towards manufacturing and exports predicted by the government. Germany and the United States have already recouped the ground lost during the recession of 2008-09, but at the current rate of progress it will be 2013 at the earliest before the UK economy is back to where it was at its peak in the first quarter of 2008. City analysts described the easing back of growth from the 0.5% recorded in the first quarter as disappointing, even though the ONS said one-off factors such as the royal wedding and the production shutdowns caused by the Japanese tsunami had probably knocked 0.5% off growth between April and June. With Britain’s main export market, Europe, affected by the sovereign debt crisis, the ONS estimated that output from Britain’s factories fell in the second quarter of 2011 and remains almost 8% below its level of five years ago. Overall industrial production – which includes output from the North Sea, mines and the electricity and gas industries as well as manufacturing – has suffered an even bigger fall during the recession and its aftermath, and is still more than 11% down on its 2006 level. The economy’s fastest growing sector since the slump has been business services and finance, which includes the City. The ONS figures showed the output of accountants, banks, lawyers and management consultants up by almost 5% since 2006, and by just over 3% since the banks began to recover from the financial crisis in the autumn of 2008. Neil Prothero, analyst at the Economist Intelligence Unit, said: “The UK economy is continuing to splutter along in first gear. Despite historically low interest rates and a still-huge fiscal deficit of around 10% of GDP, the economy has barely grown at all since September last year. “The official release tried to put a positive spin on things, estimating that the additional April bank holiday, the royal wedding and the after-effects of the Japanese tsunami had cut 0.5% from the quarterly GDP figure. While some downward impact is likely to have occurred, this seems an optimistic assessment, and there is no guarantee of a rebound effect in Q3. “Forward-looking surveys continue to point to an economy handicapped by insipid demand at home and weakening demand abroad. We expect GDP growth of 1.1% in 2011, well below official forecasts, which implies a high probability of the government missing its deficit-reduction target.” Britain started to emerge from recession in the final few months of 2009 and in the second quarter of 2010, when the coalition government was formed, activity expanded by 1.1%, its fastest rate of growth for nine years. But the pace of growth slowed to 0.6% in the third quarter of 2010 before GDP contracted by 0.5% in the final three months, in part due to the blizzards that shut down large parts of the economy last December. Richard Driver, analyst for Caxton FX, said 0.2% quarterly growth was “very poor indeed. With growth in the previous two quarters dead flat, the longer-term picture of the UK economy is pretty bleak. Manufacturing, industrial production and retail sales growth has slowed particularly badly in recent months, but in truth the situation is pretty dire across the board. “Sentiment towards the UK economy is rightfully very negative,” Driver said. “The financial markets value fiscal conservatism and deficit reduction, but fears that the UK economy will dip back into recession are mounting with every poor growth figure.” Businesses called on the Bank of England to restart its quantitative easing programme, which pumped £200bn into the economy in 2009 and 2010. David Kern, chief economist at the British Chambers of Commerce, said: “To sustain demand, we think the Bank of England should persevere with low interest rates and consider an increase in the QE programme. We believe increasing the productive potential of the economy is more important to our economic success than simply boosting consumption. This means implementing growth-enhancing policies and removing regulatory burdens that hamper businesses in their efforts to create jobs and export.” Andrew Smith, chief economist at KPMG, said: “Output has been broadly flat for the last nine months and – despite the depressing special factors – there is little reason to think things have improved much since. The big picture is that domestic demand is being weighed down by government cutbacks and falling real wages, and exports and investment are still not strong enough to take up the slack.” Economic growth (GDP) Economics Economic policy George Osborne Manufacturing data Manufacturing sector Consumer spending Conservative and Liberal Democrat cabinet Conservatives Liberal Democrats Liberal-Conservative coalition Larry Elliott guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …Norway gunman told lawyer he expected to be killed before he reached Utøya island The man behind Norway’s terror attacks has told his lawyer he was surprised he was not stopped straight after he bombed Oslo city centre, and that he expected to be killed before he reached the island where he shot dead 68 people. Anders Behring Breivik was a “very cold” man who had taken drugs to keep himself awake during the shootings, the lawyer, Geir Lippestad, told a press conference yesterday. Breivik, who has confessed to killing 76 people in the atrocities in Oslo and on Utøya island, told Lippestad he was at war with the world, and that killing was justified in a war. “He was a little surprised he succeeded – in his mind succeeded,” Lippestad said. “He was expecting to be stopped earlier by the police or someone else during the actual day. He was surprised that he reached the island. “He thought he would be killed after the bombing, after the action in the island, and he also thought he would be killed at the trial. He believes someone will kill him.” Breivik also claimed that he was part of an anti-Islam network that has two cells in Norway and “several” more abroad. Asked to explain Brievik’s mindset, Lippestad said: “He says he is sorry he had to do this but it is necessary. He looks upon himself as a warrior. And he started this war, and takes some kind of pride in that. “He believes this is the start of a war that will go on for 60 years,” Lippestad said. “He believes the other cells will continue the war.” Lippestad said that after several meetings with his client, he believed Breivik was mentally ill. “This whole case indicated that he is insane,” Lippestad said of the 32-year-old, who denies he is a criminal. The lawyer, a member of Norway’s Labour party whose youth wing was targeted by Breivik, said he did not know why the killer had chosen him to represent him. He added that if his client were to refuse to take psychological tests he would quit from his defence. Two psychiatric experts will now evaluate Breivik’s mental state. According to Lippestad, Breivik remains unaware of the revulsion his attacks have sparked and does not know the number of people he killed last Friday. Detained in isolation, a request by the suspect for a copy of the WikiLeaks files was reportedly rejected by the authorities last night. It also emerged the Utøya Island massacre was, partly, drug-fuelled. Lippestad said the gunman had taken unspecified drugs in order “to be strong, to be efficient, to keep him awake” during the shootings. Focus continues to intensify on links between UK far-right groups and Breivik with London, the city where the suspect claimed to have launched his so-called organisation to “save Europe from Muslim takeover”. Johan Fredrikson, the chief of Oslo police, said that despite an international investigation, including involvement by British police, they still had no evidence that there was an accomplice or network behind the attacks. Breivik’s claims that he was surprised not to have been stopped earlier will add to pressure on police, who have been criticised for taking more than an hour to reach Utøya island. It emerged on Tuesday that the nearest police helicopter available was not able to intervene during the massacre because its pilots were on holiday. Teenagers trapped on the island during the shootings last Friday claimed that they were told to stay off the line because authorities were dealing with the earlier Oslo bombing, according to relatives and local reports. Ambulances heading to the island to help the wounded were said to have been held up as police attempted to secure the area. But Fredrikson said on Tuesday evening it had taken police 47 minutes once they were notified to get counter-terrorism officers to the island and another two minutes on the island until Breivik surrendered. “I can’t see how this could have gone any faster. We would do it the same way if we had the same situation again,” he said. Broader questions have since emerged concerning the failure of Norwegian intelligence over the attacks. Breivik was allegedly placed on a watch list after buying fertiliser in Poland that may have been used to build the Oslo bomb. It is thought that no further action was taken. On Tuesday officials confirmed they have opened an investigation into a Polish chemist after he admitted supplying chemicals to Breivik. The internal security agency in Warsaw said that a Polish man faces up to eight years in prison for selling to Breivik via the internet “substances that could be potentially dangerous to the life and health of many people”. The device that exploded on Friday had a devastating ferocity. Since the blast, the justice minister, Knut Storberget, has revealed that employees from his department still remain missing in the ruins of the capital’s government building. Anders Behring Breivik Norway Europe The far right Mark Townsend Helen Pidd guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …Democratic Rep. David Wu of Oregon announced Tuesday that he will resign amid the political fallout from an 18-year-old woman’s allegations of an unwanted sexual encounter with him. (July 26)
Continue reading …Quarterback Michael Vick and Philadelphia Eagles teammates Clay Harbor and Trent Cole were glad to be back at the team’s facility Tuesday, one day after players voted to approve a deal to end the lockout. (July 26)
Continue reading …