Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2637)
Mcdonalds Making Changes To Happy Meals

CenaMc1 says: McDonalds Making Changes To Happy Meals http://tinyurl.com/3jplv2w

Continue reading …
L’Oréal’s Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington ad campaigns banned

Advertising watchdog upholds complaints by Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson that images overly airbrushed L’Oréal has been forced to pull ad campaigns featuring Pretty Woman star Julia Roberts and supermodel Christy Turlington, after the advertising watchdog upheld complaints by Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson that the images were overly airbrushed. Swinson, who has waged a long-running campaign against “overly perfected and unrealistic images” of women in adverts, lodged complaints with the Advertising Standards Authority about the magazine campaigns for L’Oréal-owned brands Lancôme and Maybelline. The ASA ruled that both ads breached the advertising standards code for exaggeration and being misleading and banned them from future publication. L’Oréal’s two-page ad featuring Roberts, who is the face of Lancôme, promoted a foundation called Teint Miracle, which it claims creates a “natural light” that emanates from beautiful skin. It was shot by renowned fashion photographer Mario Testino. The ad for Maybelline featured Turlington promoting a foundation called The Eraser, which is claimed to be an “anti-ageing” product. In the ad, parts of Turlington’s face are shown covered by the foundation while other parts are not, in order to show the effects of the product. Swinson complained that images of both celebrities had been digitally manipulated and were “not representative of the results the product could achieve”. L’Oréal UK admitted that Turlington’s image had been “digitally retouched to lighten the skin, clean up makeup, reduce dark shadows and shading around the eyes, smooth the lips and darken the eyebrows”. However, it claimed there were still signs of ageing, such as crow’s feet, and that the image “accurately illustrated” the achieveable results. The company, which provided the ASA with pictures of both women “on the red carpet” to show that they were naturally beautiful, admitted that digital post-production techniques had been used on Roberts but maintained that the changes were not “directly relevant” and that the ad was an “aspirational picture”. Swinson said it was “shocking” that the ASA was not allowed to see the pre-production pictures of Roberts due to contractual agreements with the actor. “It shows just how ridiculous things have become when there is such fear over an unairbrushed photo that even the advertising regulator isn’t permitted to see it,” she added. In the case of both the Roberts and Turlington ads the ASA said it was not provided with enough information to evaluate what impact the digital enhancements had on the final image. “On the basis of the evidence we had received we could not conclude that the ad image accurately illustrated what effect the product could achieve, and that the image had not been exaggerated by digital post-production techniques,” the ASA said. “Pictures of flawless skin and super-slim bodies are all around, but they don’t reflect reality,” said Swinson. “Excessive airbrushing and digital manipulation techniques have become the norm, but both Christy Turlington and Julia Roberts are naturally beautiful women who don’t need retouching to look great. This ban sends a powerful message to advertisers – let’s get back to reality.” • To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000. If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly “for publication”. • To get the latest media news to your desktop or mobile, follow MediaGuardian on Twitter and Facebook Advertising Advertising Standards Authority Julia Roberts Models Mark Sweney guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Today in History for July 27th

Highlights of this day in history: An armistice ends the Korean War; A House panel votes to impeach President Richard Nixon; A pipe bomb explodes at the Atlanta Olympics; The deposed Shah of Iran and comedian Bob Hope die. (July 27)

Continue reading …
Raw Video: Obama Extends Condolences to Norway

President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden visted the Norwegian Ambassador’s residence in Washington on Tuesday to extend their condolences to the people of Norway. Friday’s bombing and massacre in Norway killed at least 76 people. (July 27)

Continue reading …

Jeff Jarvis on his Twitter movement against Washington, “The Young Turks” Cenk Uygur on why he likes being a Washington “outsider,” and Rhett and Link on the week’s trending topics, including the NFL lockout, “Jurassic Park 4″ (July 26, 2011)

Continue reading …
Do Fast-Food Customers Read the Calorie Charts?

A new study suggests many customers of fast-food restaurants aren’t taking advantage of calorie information provided on some menus.

Continue reading …
NFL Players Get Back to Work

NFL players began reporting to training camps Tuesday, one day after the new 10-year labor agreement was approved. (July 27)

Continue reading …
NATO says deal reached to end Kosovo border crisis

NEBI QENA Associated Press= PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — Kosovo’s special police forces that moved into the country’s disputed north overnight to extend the government’s writ at borders with Serbia will withdraw as part of a deal between Kosovo and Serbia and mediated by NATO, a spokesman for the military alliance said Tuesday. No Kosovo officials were immediately available to confirm if the deal was reached, but an AP reporter witnessed traffic resuming on a main road in the north after Kosovo police special units withdrew and Serbs removed trucks and lorries used to block the road. The overnight operation by Kosovo’s special police units was criticized by the European Union, which is currently…

Continue reading …
George Lopez: If Sarah Palin Becomes President ‘I Will Move to Canada’

Last year, Sarah Palin-hating comedian George Lopez said that if the former governor of Alaska ever became president, all Latinos would move back to Mexico. On Tuesday's “Piers Morgan Tonight,” he took this further saying that if Palin gets to the White House, he'll move to Canada (video follows with transcript and commentary): PIERS MORGAN,HOST: You said on immigration, “Elect Sarah Palin as President of the US in 2012 and we'll all leave voluntarily.” GEORGE LOPEZ: I agree. If Sarah Palin becomes president at any point, I will say allegedly, I will move to Canada. MORGAN: Really? LOPEZ: I will go further north. I've been south. I'll go further north. MORGAN: You would literally leave the country? LOPEZ: I would leave the United States of America. MORGAN: Why would you be so drastic? LOPEZ: I like my politicians to actually have a political background, to be politically — to know politics, to actually have inherited something from working in the political world. MORGAN: Why is someone like Sarah Palin so popular with so many people, do you think? How does she resonate with people? LOPEZ: Well, she's — MORGAN: What is she giving them they're not getting from conventional politicians? LOPEZ: I — is it that maverickness? Is it that homespun kind of Andy Griffith wink your eye, shift your imaginary gun thing? Maybe. Is it just that we've become a culture of personality? Of do we elect somebody by their smile instead of by their content? It's a little bit of all of that. Of course, we heard this same nonsense in the last decade when numerous Hollywoodans including Alec Baldwin said they'd leave the country if George W. Bush became president. Sadly for us, they never did. So, I wouldn't hold my breath that Lopez will stick to his promise, but he sure does hate Sarah Palin: George Lopez Cracks Sarah Palin is ‘Evil Egomaniac That Might Destroy the World’ George Lopez Cracks: ‘Every Latino’ Will Leave US if Palin Elected, ‘We’ll Go and Take Canadians with Us’ George Lopez: Latinos Will Move Back To Mexico If Palin Becomes President George Lopez Calls Sarah Palin A B***h On National Television

Continue reading …
Sun CEO’s deleted blog post to help end Oracle vs Google patent dispute?

Ever heard of estoppel? The term, sadly, does not denote a new German electronic bus service, but is rather a court-ordered way of telling companies “no backsies” on previously made public statements. It could also prove to be another nail in Oracle’s patent dispute coffin, should Google’s latest Wayback Machine defense hold up. Thanks to the internet’s never say die policy, a 2007 post, recently deleted by Oracle, from Sun Microsystem’s then CEO Jonathan Schwartz has surfaced, in which he enthusiastically endorsed Android’s Java base. The public statement falls in line with the aforementioned legal doctrine, potentially contradicting new owner Oracle’s patent infringement claims. Unfortunately for both parties, Judge William Alsup doesn’t seem to be too cool under the collar as he’s reportedly blasted each for “asking for the moon” and chiding them to “be more reasonable.” A final ruling in this case is still a ways off , but in the meantime you can head to the source to read Schwartz’s damning praise for yourself. Sun CEO’s deleted blog post to help end Oracle vs Google patent dispute? originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:14:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …