Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2625)

The Lockerbie bomber has been spotted at a rally for Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi two years after he was freed from a Scottish prison because he was supposedly on the brink of death. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi can be seen seated in a wheelchair on a broadcast of the rally aired by…

Continue reading …

What may have been the largest incursion by foreign troops onto US soil since the Japanese invasion of Alaska’s Aleutian Islands occurred in Texas yesterday. Four Humvees carrying a total of 33 Mexican soldiers accidentally strayed into US territory, crossing the boundary line on a bridge across the Rio Grande…

Continue reading …
LulzSec hacking suspect ‘Topiary’ arrested

Police arrest 19-year-old man in Shetland Islands who is alleged to be involved in hacker attacks on law enforcement agencies The international hunt for computer hackers linked to attacks on law enforcement agencies has led to the arrest of a teenager in the Shetland Islands. Officers from the Metropolitan police’s e-crime unit arrested a 19-year-old at his home on Wednesday as part of a global hunt for hackers connected to the LulzSec and Anonymous groups. Scotland Yard said the suspect uses the online nickname “Topiary”, who has been presented as a spokesman for the LulzSec collective and one of the most prominent names in the so-called “hacktivist” movement. The teenager is the third person to be arrested in the UK in connection with attacks on the electronics giant Sony, as well as assaults on US government agencies. A 16-year-old from South London was arrested and released on bail last week. Essex teenager Ryan Cleary, 19, is due to appear before a London court on 30 August charged with a number of attacks on websites. Police also said a 17-year-old male is being interviewed under caution, but was not arrested, in connection with the hacking inquiry. A residential address in Lincolnshire is being searched. More details soon … LulzSec Hacking Crime Josh Halliday guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
‘Horrid Henry’ Gets the Big Screen Treatment

The cast of ‘Horrid Henry: The Movie’ talk about bringing the popular books to life on the big screen. (July 27)

Continue reading …
Lowering the Bar: Reuters Sets 2.5% GDP Growth as Unemployment Rate-Lowering Benchmark

I guess at Reuters, when you see that an economy can't meet normal benchmarks for success, you simply lower them, and pretend that success will come anyway. Over at the Associated Press a few weeks ago, in his write-up in the wake of the government's awful June employment report , Chris Rugaber correctly pegged the kind of economic growth it will take to get millions of currently unemployed Americans back to work again: “The economy would need to grow 5 percent for a whole year to significantly bring down the unemployment rate.” That standard was way too high for whoever wrote an unbylined item at Reuters on Tuesday (bold after title is mine): Weak auto output, pricey gasoline to clip Q2 growth WHAT: First reading on U.S. second-quarter GDP WHEN: Friday, July 29, at 8:30 a.m. EDT FACTORS TO WATCH A contraction in motor vehicle production because of a shortage of parts from Japan and high gasoline prices that curbed consumer spending, probably kept the U.S. economy on a slow growth path in the second quarter. Growth in the world's biggest economy is projected to have weakened to a 1.8 percent annual rate after a tepid 1.9 percent pace in the first three months of the year. The economy would need to grow at a rate of 2.5 percent or better on a sustained basis to chip away at the nation's 9.2 percent unemployment rate. The trouble is, as seen here , GDP growth has averaged an annualized 2.8% in the seven quarters since the recession as normal people define it ended in the second quarter of 2009, while the unemployment rate chip-away has been minimal: By contrast, also seen at the linked graphic, average annualized growth during the first seven quarters of the early 1980s recovery under Ronald Reagan was 6.6%. Not coincidentally, employment grew by almost 5.3 million during those seven quarters (the equivalent of about 8 million today), and the unemployment rate dropped from 10.1% to 7.2%. My message to Reuters: Chip, schmip. We won't get to an unemployment rate of even 7% for 15 years at the current rate of “chipping” (2.2% required seasonally adjusted drop from the current 9.2% divided by average seasonally adjusted drop of 0.15% per year since the recession ended). The not seasonally adjusted table indicates that the June 2011 jump in actual, on-the-ground unemployment was as bad as June 2009's. That would appear not to bode well going forward. After the same thing occurred two years ago, the seasonally adjusted rate jumped by over a half-point during the next four months. During that period, GDP growth average an annualized 1.6% in the third quarter, and 5.0% during the quarter containing October, or an average of 2.45% over four months, i.e., just under Reuters' alleged benchmark of 2.5%. A lot of good that level of growth did then. That kind of growth won't do us much good now either, no matter how far Reuters lowers the bar. Cross-posted at BizzyBlog.com .

Continue reading …
Iran revolutionary guards’ commander set to become president of Opec

Rostam Ghasemi, who is blacklisted by western powers, could have major role in determining global oil price A senior commander of Iran’s revolutionary guards, who is subject to comprehensive international sanctions, has been nominated as the country’s oil minister, a position that currently includes the presidency of Opec. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, sent a list of four ministers, including Rostam Ghasemi, commander of the revolutionary guards’ Khatam al-Anbia military and industrial base, to the parliament for approval, the semi-official Fars news agency reported. Should the parliament confirm Ghasemi’s nomination next week, the commander, who is targeted by US, EU and Australian sanctions, will be automatically appointed as head of Opec, giving the revolutionary guards access to an influential international platform. Under Iran’s constitution the president is in charge of appointing cabinet ministers, who take office after the approval of parliament. Iran took the Opec presidency in October last year, its first time at the head of the oil exporters’ cartel since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Unrest in the Middle East, especially the ongoing war in Libya, has given Opec a crucial role in determining the current oil price. Iran is the second-largest crude oil exporter in Opec. The nomination follows an extraordinary power struggle between Ahmadinejad and Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Ahmadinejad attempted to take over the oil ministry as its temporary head in May but his move was blocked by parliament. He then appointed Mohammad Aliabadi, a close ally, as a caretaker. By involving the revolutionary guards – who are under the control of Khamenei – in his cabinet, Ahmadinejad might be trying to alleviate the tensions with those of Khamenei’s supporters who have been threatening the president with impeachment . The revolutionary guards have won significant economic power since Ahmadinejad took office in 2005. The organisation has signed contracts with the government in fields such as oil, gas and telecommunications. Khatam al-Anbia’s involvement in the country’s gas field developments exceeds $7bn (£4.3bn), according to the Economist Intelligence Unit. In an interview with Fars on Wednesday, Ghasemi said the revolutionary guards would also work as a contractor with the oil ministry if his nomination were approved by parliament. “We have strong and skilful people working for Khatam al-Anbia who are capable of taking up oil-related projects and I don’t have any concerns over the activities of the base,” he was quoted by Fars as saying after the news of his nomination broke out. Khatam al-Anbia, the construction arm of the revolutionary guards which is already in control of some of the country’s most important recent oil and gas contracts, was mentioned in a list of Iranian institutions targeted by UN sanctions. Revolutionary guards’ assets, including those personally owned by Ghasemi and dozens of his colleagues, have been blacklisted by the US Treasury and western powers. Other officials in Ahmadinejad’s cabinet have been also subject to international sanctions including the foreign minister, Ali Akbar Salehi, the defence minister, Ahmad Vahidi, and the vice-president, Fereidoun Abbasi Davani. In a letter addressed to the parliamentary speaker, Ali Larijani, Ahmadinejad also nominated Mohsen Abadi as the minister for sports and youth, Abdolreza Sheikholeslami as the minister for co-operative, labour and social welfare, and Mehdi Gazanfari as the minister of industries, mines and trade. Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Middle East Saeed Kamali Dehghan guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Sony officially outs new A, E, and S series Walkmans

When a company sends a boatload of media players through the FCC, specs and all, it kinds of takes the punch out any official announcement, ya know? Still, it’s nice to finally see Sony’s spate of new Walkman players that we’ve been reading so much about. The company just announced updates to its A, S, and E series of players, all of which have a karaoke mode, language learning function, voice recording, and Sony’s station-creating SensMe feature. At the high-end, you’ve got the stereo Bluetooth-enabled A860, whose 2.8-inch touchscreen has already been splashed across the internets. The more diminutive S760BT has a 2-inch display and also gets Bluetooth, though it claims longer battery life — up to 50 hours of audio playback and up to ten for videos. Rounding out the low end, there’s the E460, which has the same 2-inch screen, but lacks Bluetooth and instead comes in five colors. All three models will go on sale in September, with the A series fetching $179 or $219 for the 8GB and 16GB models, the 8GB S series costing $149, and the E series ranging in price from $79 to $109 for 8GB to 16GB. Full PR after the break. Continue reading Sony officially outs new A, E, and S series Walkmans Sony officially outs new A, E, and S series Walkmans originally appeared on Engadget on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:42:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …
“New Year’s Eve” Trailer with Ashton Kutcher, Lea Michele and MORE Stars

Garry Marshall is back with another big-name ensemble movie, “New Year’s Eve.” Check out the trailer! Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : Gossip Cop Discovery Date : 27/07/2011 15:49 Number of articles : 4

Continue reading …
China train crash inquiry ordered as public outrage continues

China’s premier promises train crash report in response to dissent over propaganda directives to journalists Propaganda authorities in China have failed to stem the torrent of public outrage over last Saturday’s high-speed rail crash amid continuing aggressive media reporting and angry online posts. Amid the rancour, China’s premier, Wen Jiabao, ordered a “swift, open and transparent” investigation, adding that its results should be made public. He promised to take resolute steps to strengthen safety, the Xinhua state news agency reported. At least 39 people died and more than 190 were injured in the crash near Wenzhou in Zhejiang province. Six carriages derailed and four plunged from a viaduct after one train smashed into the back of a stationary train. Directives leaked this week ordered journalists to avoid analysing the causes and focus on uplifting stories of the rescue but several outlets continued to attack the handling of the collision and raise awkward questions – such as the whereabouts of the surviving train driver and whether the safety systems had failed. It was also reported that the “miracle” rescue of a toddler happened only because the officer who found her defied orders to halt the search. “Knowing how the railway’s Great Leap was achieved, who can say that the high speed network is safe? … unofficial opinions have been blocked and silence was imposed on dissenting experts. That is why tragedies are unavoidable,” warned an editorial in the Economic Observer. Meanwhile, users posted millions of messages on Sina’s Twitter-like Weibo service and some microbloggers referred to the railways ministry as “iron hooligans”. One created a fake movie poster, spoofing recent propaganda films. Titled The Panicked Train Crew, and featuring images of railway officials, it proclaims: “After the Founding of a Republic and The Beginning of the Great Revival, another epic film to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the Chinese Communist party!” Although critical reporting and online attacks on authorities are often seen after disasters, it is rare for them to continue for so long – particularly in the face of explicit orders. It is especially unusual given that high speed rail is regarded as a matter of national prestige. New media professor Hu Yong said: “The difference this time is how widely it has spread, how sharp the criticism is and how much the various tiers of society are influenced.” He said microblogging had played a major role in spreading information and reaction, but added: “It is still questionable whether this will affect policy-making and the final outcome.” David Bandurski, of the China Media Project at Hong Kong University, predicted that authorities would soon clamp down. He said the sensitivity of the political situation – with jockeying for position ahead of next year’s power transition – had made the issue “too hot to handle”. Others have suggested that leaders may be keen to clip the wings of the overly powerful ministry. Bandurski also suggested journalists might be seeking to push back after a recent media clampdown: “When they do crack down on the story, everyone is going to know what they are not reading. The political blowback is going to be huge,” he added. Propaganda directives are issued by numerous bodies, which might help to explain variations in coverage, although at least one of the orders appeared to be at national level. Southern Metropolitan Daily warned: “Without independent investigation of the truth, the living will not agree and the dead will not rest.” The Beijing Times said many “puzzles” remained unsolved.The state-run Global Times also attacked officials for failing to answer reasonable questions. “Chinese society is changing and public democracy is booming in the internet era, but the arrogance of certain authorities has stagnated … public opinion in China cannot stand this anymore,” said an editorial. He Weifang, a prominent scholar at Peking University Law School, used his microblog account to call for an independent special commission to investigate the crash and the future development of high speed rail. He pointed out that the ministry of railways was affiliated to the state council, which has set up the current inquiry, adding: “If they investigate, it is hard to demonstrate justice and fairness.” Additional research by Han Cheng China Rail transport Press freedom Tania Branigan guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …