Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2609)
Wal-mart Opens First Express Store in Chicago

The nation’s first urban Wal-Mart express opened Wednesday in Chicago. It’s part of a test that Wal-Mart hopes will help turn around a two-year US sales slump and employ people in hard hit city centers (July 27)

Continue reading …

OK, so they may be a year or two (or three) late from the peak of the trend, but the White House Twitter feed got in a little “rickrolling” action today. In response to this tweet from someone complaining that the press briefing was a little dull, the White House…

Continue reading …
Dollywood T Shirt

gifpm says: Dollywood T – Shirt Flap Sparks Controversy: Sensitivity, or the lack of it, works both ways, and many people have… http://bit.ly/qusq93

Continue reading …
Ed Miliband nose operation satisfies surgeons and Labour spin doctors

Opposition leader undergoes hour-long NHS procedure for respiratory condition – but has it improved his voice? An expectant cluster of doctors, of both the medical and spinning variety, gathered around a bedside in Grays Inn Road, London, to await an event that could determine the outcome of the next general election. It was Ed nose day at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear hospital. Ed Miliband had been asleep for an hour, recovering from an operation his team ludicrously continued to insist was solely about tackling a deviated septum in his nose, so making it easier for him to sleep, and possibly for his wife Justine to be spared the odd snore. The Labour leader’s spin doctors continued to blather on about how obstructive sleep apnoea is a respiratory condition, leading the throat to repeatedly narrow or close during sleep. This meant air did not get into Miliband’s lungs properly, so waking him in the middle of night, leaving him with nothing to do but think about the future of European social democracy – a subject that would make most people lapse back comatosed, but has an enlivening effect on a Milimind. But everyone knew that all this medical detail was spin doctor obfuscation. In reality, the hour-long operation was a giant gamble. No one knew whether when he awoke the sound of Miliband’s voice would be transformed. Would the new Bold Ed of recent weeks, willing to tear down the Murdoch empire, be given a voice to match – a lustrous blend of Laurence Olivier, Barry White and Kathleen Turner? Or would it resemble a squeaky chainsaw liable to make voters run screaming from the room? As research has shown the sound of a voice is worth more votes to politicians than the content of their speeches, the operation was no trivial matter. Many British politicians, including George Osborne and Lady Thatcher, have undergone coaching to deepen the timbre. However, Labour voters hoping that the operation would have some magical oratorical impact have been disappointed. Those who have spoken to Miliband (no audio is yet available) say he sounds the same. “It did not change his voice, and nor was it intended to,” said his office. He will now spend some “slow time” in his north London home before heading off on holiday to Devon with his family. With his poll ratings well out of the emergency ward, he will be able to sleep easier before the haul towards his autumn party conference speech, an event that makes the most equable personality wake in the small hours in a cold sweat. Ed Miliband Patrick Wintour guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Record £161m loot recovered from Britain’s criminals in 2010-11

Officials estimate that there are 38,000 organised criminals active in Britain working in 6,000 groups A record £161m worth of assets, including sports cars, watches, diamond earrings, designer clothing and fine china was recovered from criminals in Britain last year. The Home Office disclosed the figure, the highest since the introduction of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, as ministers prepared to publish their new strategy to tackle organised crime. They said a further £49m of assets was returned to victims, while £831m of cash and ill-gotten gains such as seized illicit drugs were denied to criminals during 2010-11. It is officially estimated that there are 38,000 organised criminals active in Britain working in 6,000 groups involved in the drugs trade, human trafficking, child exploitation and cybercrime as well as more traditional areas such as armed robbery and organised vehicle theft. Ministers have complained that too many of them regard themselves as “untouchables”. It is also estimated that organised crime costs the UK £20-£40bn a year in social and economic costs. The organised crime strategy, to be published on Thursday, promises to make a difference by “ensuring a co-ordinated national approach across government, law enforcement, security and intelligence agencies”. It will also pave the way for the establishment in 2013 of the National Crime Agency (NCA), which will set the “national operational agenda” for fighting serious and complex crime. The NCA will for the first time have the power to direct other police forces and law enforcement agencies in ensuring that appropriate action is taken at the right level against organised crime. It will have the power to link local to national and cross-border efforts to tackle organised crime. The agency has already suffered an early setback, however, in that the senior chief constable, Bernard Hogan-Howe, who was frontrunner for the head of the shadow NCA to be set up this year, has already been drafted in as temporary deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan police in the aftermath of Sir Paul Stephenson’s resignation. “Organised crime has a local impact but a global reach. To tackle it effectively we need a strategic, co-ordinated response at every level from community policing through to international partnership,” said Home Office minister James Brokenshire. “The organised crime strategy will bring a new emphasis on the prevention of organised crime alongside a greater push to ensure that more prosecution and disruption activity takes place against more organised criminals, at a reduced cost,” said Brokenshire. “This, alongside the launch of the new National Crime Agency, means that we will ensure that those who commit serious and organised crime are tracked down, pursued, brought to justice and their ill-gotten gains are stripped away.” Crime Police Alan Travis guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Walter Reed Hospital Says Goodbye

After more than 100 years treating presidents and soldiers, Walter Reed Army Medical Center has received a ceremonial sendoff ahead of closing its doors in September. (july 27)

Continue reading …
Seniors Want Debt Ceiling Fix

Seniors say they’re concerned about the effect the lingering debt ceiling battle will have on their government benefits and their investments. (July 27)

Continue reading …
Britain expels Libyan diplomats

Britain is to recognise the rebel opposition as Libya’s legitimate government and expel all existing Libyan embassy staff from the country, foreign secretary William Hague said today. The United Kingdom will also unfreeze �91 million (Euro103 million) of assets held…

Continue reading …
Attention Chris Matthews: ‘Slim’ Pickens Rode the Bomb in ‘Dr. Strangelove’ Not ‘Sam’ Pickens

Just how totally out of touch is MSNBC's Chris Matthews? At the beginning of Wednesday's “Hardball,” he said the actor who famously rode the bomb at the end of the classic film “Dr. Strangelove” was “Sam” Pickens (video follows with transcript and commentary): CHRIS MATTHEWS: Good evening, I'm Chris Matthews in Washington. Leading off tonight: Republicans gone rogue. If this deficit crisis were a game of chicken, by now the Republicans would have tossed the steering wheel out the window, dumped a cinder block on the accelerator, and be yahooing like Sam Pickens riding the bomb at the end of “Dr. Strangelove.” Nice job, Chris. Try to keep this in mind the next time you devote an entire segment to a teleprompterless misstatement by Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, or any other conservative you despise. Sam Pickens…sheesh!

Continue reading …
Pandigital’s SuperNova Android tablet gets its FCC on, leaves little to the imagination

Typically, when a new gadget makes its way through the FCC , we have to do a fair amount of digging to get to the juicy details, put Pandigital’s latest 8-inch tablet / e-reader, the SuperNova, isn’t holding anything back. This Android 2.3-powered slate follows in the footsteps of its 9-inch predecessor, the Novel , acting more as a glorified e-reader than a real-deal tablet. Like the Novel, it comes with B&N’s Nook app pre-installed and lacks access to the Android Market — apps can be downloaded via SlideMe. What’s more, it’s got front (0.3 megapixel) and back-facing (3 megapixel) cameras, 4GB of internal storage, HDMI and mini-USB connectivity, support for 32GB micro-SD, and an 8-inch capacitive touch screen. Just about the only things missing from this FCC filing are price and availability, but we have a feeling the pair isn’t far behind. If SAR reports and tablet entrails are your thing, you can peek even more SuperNova details at the source link below. Pandigital’s SuperNova Android tablet gets its FCC on, leaves little to the imagination originally appeared on Engadget on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:58:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …