Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2573)
Iraq PM due before MPs as US troop talks cancelled

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki is due to make a rare appearance before Iraq’s parliament on Saturday to push a plan for downsizing a bloated government that critics accuse of inaction. An aide to Maliki, meanwhile, said a meeting of political leaders to discuss the looming issue of whether US troops should stay in Iraq…

Continue reading …

Warren Jeffs

No Comment
Warren Jeffs

CNN Polygamist prophet Warren Jeffs preaches from jail Jeffs’ trial starts; he sits silent Warren Jeffs Represents Himself in Court Bandked says: Representing Himself, Warren Jeffs has Nothing to Say: http://t.co/Sbo7W71 via @ AddThis

Continue reading …
House Vote Delay

stillonline says: @ Donna_West @ harryReid House # vote delay is a little trick called “running out the clock” so that there’s no alternative to #Boehner Bill

Continue reading …
Norway attacks: Memorial services for victims held

Two services for those killed in Oslo and on Utøya island take place as Anders Behring Breivik faces more questioning Two memorial services for the victims of last week’s terror attacks in Norway are being held as the Norwegian man who confessed to the killings faces a second round of questioning by police. The Norwegian prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, has urged his country to show unity at the services in the face of the attacks – a bombing in Oslo and a shooting rampage at a youth camp on Utøya island – in which 76 people died. Norway’s police chief of staff, Johan Fredriksen, said that all the dead had now been identified and that those who had been reported missing were accounted for. One of the memorial services is being hosted by Stolenberg’s governing Labour party, while the other is taking place at a mosque in Oslo. The first funerals are also being held. The Norwegian news agency NTB said suspect Anders Behring Breivik was transported to police headquarters in Oslo for a second session of questioning. Investigators believe the 32-year-old acted alone, after years of meticulous planning, and have not found anything to support his claims of being part of an anti-Muslim militant network plotting a series of attacks across Europe. Breivik was questioned for seven hours on Saturday, the day after the twin attacks, which targeted the government district of Oslo and a Labor party youth camp. He admitted carrying out the attacks but has pleaded not guilty to terror charges, saying he is in a “state of war”, according to his lawyer and police. Police have charged Breivik with terrorism, which carries a maximum sentence of 21 years in prison. However, it is possible the charge will change during the investigation to crimes against humanity, which carries a 30-year sentence, Norway’s leading prosecutor, Tor-Aksel Busch, told the Associated Press. “Such charges will be considered when the entire police investigation has been finalised,” he said. “It is an extensive investigation. We will charge Breivik for each individual killing.” A formal indictment is not expected until next year, he added. Norway Anders Behring Breivik Global terrorism The far right Europe guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Exiled author Ma Jian banned from visiting China

Writer warns of increasingly repressive political regime after he is stopped from entering Chinese mainland from Hong Kong One of China’s most acclaimed authors, who is now a British citizen, has warned that its “increasingly harsh” political climate has echoes of the Cultural Revolution after authorities barred him from entering the mainland. Ma Jian, author of Red Dust and Beijing Coma , was prevented from crossing the border from Hong Kong on Saturday. He had previously returned hundreds of times since leaving China in 1986. Officials have given him no reason for the ban or any indication of how long it will last. “The fact that I have been denied entry is an indication of how repressive the regime has become,” said Ma. “It is vitally important for me, both personally and for my writing, to be able to return to China freely, so being barred entry has caused me deep concern and distress. “I suspected that my trip to Beijing this summer might be problematic because of the increasingly harsh political climate in China. And sure enough, for the first time in my life, I have been denied entry.” The 58-year-old said this clampdown felt different to others he had witnessed over the last three decades, and suggested that a lack of international reaction was partially responsible. Citing the imprisonment of Nobel peace prize winner Liu Xiaobo and the two-month detention of Ai Weiwei , he warned: “There are echoes of the Cultural Revolution, when no sounds could be heard other than the deafening voice of the Communist party. This current clampdown began with the Beijing Olympics. The government discovered that they could suppress all forms of dissent, and still receive the approbation of the international community.” Ma is a permanent resident of Hong Kong, having moved there shortly before his first book was denounced by the Chinese authorities in 1987. He left for the UK when Hong Kong was handed back to China in 1997 and lives in London with his partner and translator Flora Drew and their children. Although his works are banned on the mainland he has been able to return regularly, but said his movements are closely monitored. Ma added: “When I travelled through the Chinese countryside while researching the book I’ve just finished, almost every friend I stayed with along my route was later questioned by the police.” He was also summoned to see state security officers while visiting Beijing in 2008. They said they were watching him closely but that as long as he stayed away from politically sensitive people such as Liu Xiaobo, and did not contact the media while on the mainland, he could return whenever he wished. Ma said he had been in Hong Kong for a book fair last week and wanted to buy books in Shenzhen before flying back to London. He now fears he will be unable to make a long planned trip to Beijing next week with his family. His 88-year-old mother is in frail health and has yet to meet his youngest children. “Many people have suggested that the clampdown is connected with an internal jostling for power ahead of the change in government leadership next year, but I think something more fundamental is going on, something relating to the nature of the Communist party itself and the totalitarian regime’s inability to adapt to modernity and to respond to natural yearnings for free expression,” he said. “My hope is that the Chinese government will come to realise that it is futile to repress free speech, and that contrary to what they believe a regime’s strength rests not its suppression of a plurality of opinions and ideas, but in its capacity and willingness to encourage them.” China Communism Tania Branigan guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Spain prime minister calls early election for 20 November

José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero brings election forward from March as Spain struggles with high unemployment Spanish prime minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero has called an early election for 20 November as the country struggles to cope with soaring bond rates and high unemployment. Zapatero announced on Friday that he had decided to bring forward the elections from March in order to bring greater “political and economic stability” to a country that many see as a key to the future of the single currency eurozone. Zapatero imposed austerity and reforms last year as sovereign debt markets threatened to push his country into a situation similar to Portugal, Greece and Ireland – all of which have needed bailouts. He said key reforms would be completed before November. Unemployment is currently running at 21%. The elections will come six months after Zapatero’s socialist party was roundly defeated at regional and municipal elections in May . A poll by the state-owned Centre for Sociological Investigation this week gave the opposition rightwing People’s Party (PP) of Mariano Rajoy, which won the May vote, a seven-point lead over the socialists. That would be enough for the reformist PP to govern, though it would not win an absolute majority and may have to rely on parliamentary support from conservative nationalist parties in Catalonia or the Basque country. Zapatero, who has served two terms since 2004, is not standing at these elections. He is being replaced as the party’s candidate for prime minister by Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba, a former deputy prime minister. Rubalcaba has suggested that he would like to take the party further to the left. Spain Europe José Luis Zapatero Giles Tremlett guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Second-hand Gold Business Booming

Shops dealing in second-hand gold are doing a roaring trade in some struggling European countries. (July 29)

Continue reading …
British judge doesn’t like the cut of Newzbin 2′s jib, orders BT to block it

Shiver-me-timbers, it looks like the movie studios’ latest legal broadside just scored a direct hit against the big bad pirate ship. A UK judge has ordered telecoms giant BT to block its subscribers from visiting Newzbin 2, a site which aggregates Usenet downloads, on the simple basis that BT knows some of its customers are using the the site to breach copyright law and therefore has a duty to stop them. This counts as an unprecedented victory for the Motion Picture Association, who brought the case, and it potentially arms them with a new weapon to force ISPs to block other sites in future. Could that be Newzbin 3 we spy on the horizon? British judge doesn’t like the cut of Newzbin 2′s jib, orders BT to block it originally appeared on Engadget on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:01:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …

Brad Smith

No Comment
Brad Smith

Brad Smith Signs With Bills, Ochocinco to the Pats & Asomugha Update Croydon Highlights Tucson Business Fellowship Breakfast with Brad Smith! #2 RevisIsland24 says: New blog posting, The Jets Lose Brad Smith to the Bills – http://tinyurl.com/3cgmafn

Continue reading …

Haynesworth

No Comment
Haynesworth

Patriots trade for Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco (VIDEO) Chad Ochocinco Reportedly Traded To Patriots (NEWS) 2 Big Guys Delt to Pats PatsLatest says: Patriots take chance on Haynesworth (Wicked Local Fall River) http://bit.ly/qXJate

Continue reading …