Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2569)
Stranded emperor penguin Happy Feet given the all-clear

Penguin that strayed 2,000 miles from Antarctic to New Zealand beach can be returned to the wild in a few weeks New Zealand’s favourite penguin visitor has been given health clearance to be returned to the wild. The news comes five weeks after it was found on a beach more than 2,000 miles from its Antarctic home. The emperor penguin, nicknamed Happy Feet, has been recuperating at Wellington zoo since soon after it was discovered on the North Island. It is the first emperor penguin to be found in the wild in New Zealand in 44 years. It became ill after eating sand, which it may have mistaken for snow. Kate Baker, a spokeswoman for the zoo, said the penguin had gained about 4kg (9lb) and this week passed an x-ray and blood test. Baker said the penguin would probably be released offshore from the south end of the country sometime in the next few weeks. New Zealand Animals Animal behaviour Antarctica guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Stranded emperor penguin Happy Feet given the all-clear

Penguin that strayed 2,000 miles from Antarctic to New Zealand beach can be returned to the wild in a few weeks New Zealand’s favourite penguin visitor has been given health clearance to be returned to the wild. The news comes five weeks after it was found on a beach more than 2,000 miles from its Antarctic home. The emperor penguin, nicknamed Happy Feet, has been recuperating at Wellington zoo since soon after it was discovered on the North Island. It is the first emperor penguin to be found in the wild in New Zealand in 44 years. It became ill after eating sand, which it may have mistaken for snow. Kate Baker, a spokeswoman for the zoo, said the penguin had gained about 4kg (9lb) and this week passed an x-ray and blood test. Baker said the penguin would probably be released offshore from the south end of the country sometime in the next few weeks. New Zealand Animals Animal behaviour Antarctica guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Sun and Mirror fined for contempt of court in Christopher Jefferies articles

The Daily Mirror has been fined £50,000 and the Sun £18,000 for articles published over killing of Joanna Yeates The Daily Mirror has been fined £50,000 and the Sun £18,000 for contempt of court for articles published about a suspect arrested on suspicion of murdering Joanna Yeates. Three senior judges ruled that the tabloid newspapers breached contempt laws with their reporting of the arrest of Christopher Jefferies, Yeates’s landlord, who was later released without charge and was entirely innocent of any involvement. Dominic Grieve, the attorney general, launched the contempt action against the newspapers in May, arguing that reports about Jefferies were “so exceptional, so memorable” that it presented a “risk of serious prejudice” to any potential future trial of Yeates’s killer. Vincent Tabak in May pleaded guilty to manslaughter but not the murder of the 25-year-old landscape architect, who was found dead on Christmas Day near Bristol. Tabak is due to face trial at Bristol crown court in October. The attorney general said after Friday’s ruling: “I welcome today’s judgment. While there was a great amount of speculation and copy relating to Mr Jefferies across much of the media, these three pieces of newspaper coverage were a different matter. “They breached the Contempt of Court Act and the court has found that there was a risk of serious prejudice to any future trial. This prosecution is a reminder to the press that the Contempt of Court Act applies from the time of arrest.” Earlier on Friday, Jefferies accepted substantial libel damages from eight newspapers – including the Daily Mirror and the Sun – over stories relating to his arrest. In the contemptruling handed down at the high court on Friday, Lord Justice Thomas and Mr Justice Owen described the Daily Mirror articles as “extreme” and “substantial risks to the course of justice”. The judges said the Sun’s coverage of Jefferies created a “very serious risk” that any future court defence would be damaged. “These articles [in the Sun] would have certainly justified an abuse of process argument, and although their effect is not as grave as that of two series of articles contained in the Mirror, the vilification of Mr Jefferies created a very serious risk that the preparation of his defence would be damaged,” the judges said. “At the time when this edition of the Sun was published it created substantial risks to the course of justice. It therefore constituted a contempt under the strict liability rule.” • To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000. If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly “for publication”. • To get the latest media news to your desktop or mobile, follow MediaGuardian on Twitter and Facebook The Sun Newspapers & magazines National newspapers Newspapers Daily Mail Media law Contempt of court Joanna Yeates Josh Halliday guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Sun and Mirror fined for contempt of court in Christopher Jefferies articles

The Daily Mirror has been fined £50,000 and the Sun £18,000 for articles published over killing of Joanna Yeates The Daily Mirror has been fined £50,000 and the Sun £18,000 for contempt of court for articles published about a suspect arrested on suspicion of murdering Joanna Yeates. Three senior judges ruled that the tabloid newspapers breached contempt laws with their reporting of the arrest of Christopher Jefferies, Yeates’s landlord, who was later released without charge and was entirely innocent of any involvement. Dominic Grieve, the attorney general, launched the contempt action against the newspapers in May, arguing that reports about Jefferies were “so exceptional, so memorable” that it presented a “risk of serious prejudice” to any potential future trial of Yeates’s killer. Vincent Tabak in May pleaded guilty to manslaughter but not the murder of the 25-year-old landscape architect, who was found dead on Christmas Day near Bristol. Tabak is due to face trial at Bristol crown court in October. The attorney general said after Friday’s ruling: “I welcome today’s judgment. While there was a great amount of speculation and copy relating to Mr Jefferies across much of the media, these three pieces of newspaper coverage were a different matter. “They breached the Contempt of Court Act and the court has found that there was a risk of serious prejudice to any future trial. This prosecution is a reminder to the press that the Contempt of Court Act applies from the time of arrest.” Earlier on Friday, Jefferies accepted substantial libel damages from eight newspapers – including the Daily Mirror and the Sun – over stories relating to his arrest. In the contemptruling handed down at the high court on Friday, Lord Justice Thomas and Mr Justice Owen described the Daily Mirror articles as “extreme” and “substantial risks to the course of justice”. The judges said the Sun’s coverage of Jefferies created a “very serious risk” that any future court defence would be damaged. “These articles [in the Sun] would have certainly justified an abuse of process argument, and although their effect is not as grave as that of two series of articles contained in the Mirror, the vilification of Mr Jefferies created a very serious risk that the preparation of his defence would be damaged,” the judges said. “At the time when this edition of the Sun was published it created substantial risks to the course of justice. It therefore constituted a contempt under the strict liability rule.” • To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000. If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly “for publication”. • To get the latest media news to your desktop or mobile, follow MediaGuardian on Twitter and Facebook The Sun Newspapers & magazines National newspapers Newspapers Daily Mail Media law Contempt of court Joanna Yeates Josh Halliday guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …

The drop in breast cancer deaths over the last few decades is thanks to better treatment, not widespread screening, according to a new study. European countries that introduced routine screening early saw breast cancer deaths decline at roughly the same rate as countries that introduced screening 10 to 15 years…

Continue reading …
Wall Street to Washington: Get Your Act Together

Investors on Wall Street are urging Washington politicians to come together and get a deal done on raising the debt limit. They warn that otherwise the country could slip into another recession or worse. (July 29)

Continue reading …
Wall Street to Washington: Get Your Act Together

Investors on Wall Street are urging Washington politicians to come together and get a deal done on raising the debt limit. They warn that otherwise the country could slip into another recession or worse. (July 29)

Continue reading …
Norway Mourns As Police Question Suspect Again

The man who confessed to a bombing and youth camp shooting spree in Norway faces his second interrogation since the massacre, as the nation mourns the 76 victims in services marking a week since the attacks. (July 29)

Continue reading …
Norway Mourns As Police Question Suspect Again

The man who confessed to a bombing and youth camp shooting spree in Norway faces his second interrogation since the massacre, as the nation mourns the 76 victims in services marking a week since the attacks. (July 29)

Continue reading …
Dwts Signs Rob Kardashian

dsrbroadway says: # DWTS signs Rob Kardashian . I may have to watch that fine ass – I mean that show – now. Maybe… http://t.co/AE4x3up via @ harveylevintmz

Continue reading …