Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2556)
Glenn Mulcaire ‘acted under instructions’ over voicemails

Private investigator denies acting on his own as Sara Payne admits phone hacking link left her ‘very distressed and upset’ The private investigator at the centre of the News of the World phone-hacking scandal denied suggestions he acted without orders from the newspaper. In an attack on the News International, Glenn Mulcaire said he was “effectively employed” by the tabloid publisher from 2002 as a private investigator and had not acted “unilaterally” when he intercepted voicemails. “As an employee he acted on the instructions of others,” a statement issued by his lawyers said. His comments came 24 hours after it emerged that Sara Payne, whose eight-year-old daughter, Sarah, was abducted and murdered in 2000, learned Mulcaire may have targeted her phone . Hours after his statement, Sara Payne made her first public comments, saying she was “very distressed and upset” that details relating to her may have been found in Mulcaire’s files. “I can confirm reports that I was given a phone by the campaign team [for the NoW's Sarah's Law campaign] and that my voicemail was only activated after my first aneurysm,” she said. This relates to a report on Thursday that she had not turned her voicemail on the phone until 2009, the year of her first aneurysm. She was given the phone by NoW in 2000. In a statement that indicated she still appreciated her work on Sarah’s Law with the NoW, she said: “Notwithstanding the bad apples involved here, my faith remains solidly behind all the good people who have supported me over the last 11 years. I will never lose my faith in them. My way would be to challenge the bad apples head-on, learn from the facts of the matter, and be a proactive part of stopping this from happening again.” Brooks said the allegations about Payne were “abhorrent”, and that it was “unthinkable” “anyone on the newspaper knew Sara or the campaign team were targeted by Mulcaire”. The private investigator’s statement challenges News International’s central defence since Mulcaire and Clive Goodman, the paper’s former royal editor, were jailed in 2007 for hacking into Prince William’s phone. The company claimed that one “rogue reporter” was responsible. Mulcaire’s statement from his lawyers said: “There were also occasions when he [Mulcaire] understood his instructions were from those who genuinely wished to assist in solving crimes. Any suggestion that he acted in such matters unilaterally is untrue. In the light of the ongoing police investigation, he cannot say any more.” His statement focuses attention back on News International executives, who face another grilling by MPs on the Commons culture select committee. James Murdoch is likely to be summoned to appear before MPs for a second time after Colin Myler, the NoW’s former editor, and Tom Crone, the paper’s former head of legal affairs, challenged his evidence to the select committee on 19 July. Crone and Myler accused Murdoch of being “mistaken” when he told the committee that he had no knowledge of an email that implicated a member of the News of the World staff in Mulcaire’s activities. The pair said they had shown Murdoch the so-called “for Neville” email, which raised the possibility that the paper’s former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck knew about phone hacking at the time that the BSkyB chairman approved payments to victims of phone hacking. Murdoch said earlier this month that he did not have a “complete picture” when he approved the payments. Committee chair John Whittingdale, who said he wanted to hear from the pair and James Murdoch in writing first, is expected to summon them next month. He would also be asking Myler and Crone to exlain why they now think the “for Neville” email is so significant after they played down its significance when they appeared before the committee in July 2009. “Tom Crone and Colin Myler … told us they had discovered no evidence suggesting that anybody else beyond Clive Goodman had been involved,” Whittingdale said. “We are now told, we understand from the statement they issued to the media, that they had drawn James Murdoch’s attention to the significance of the ‘for Neville’ email. It appeared, when they came before us, that they did not regard that it was significant. But clearly they are now suggesting it is.” The committee is also writing to Jon Chapman, a former director of legal affairs at News International, who challenged Rupert Murdoch’s claim to the culture committee that he had a copy of a report “for a number of years” which showed evidence of illegality. Chapman said he was responsible for corporate and legal matters at News International and did not have responsibility for dealing with allegations about phone hacking. Mulcaire was jailed in 2007 after pleading guilty to charges of phone interception and is currently appealing against a High Court order that would force him to give more information about hacking to his alleged victims. Glenn Mulcaire had claimed the privilege of self-incrimination but lost a High Court battle against comedian Steve Coogan and football pundit Andy Gray. There is now a prospect that this appeal against the order arising from this case is abandoned after News International announced it was ceasing to cover Mulcaire’s legal fees with “immediate effect”. Mulcaire’s solictors wrote to News International earlier this week warning the publisher they were still legally liable to indemnify him against legal costs until the appeal case was resolved. Glenn Mulcaire Phone hacking Newspapers & magazines National newspapers Newspapers Lisa O’Carroll Nicholas Watt guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Neanderthals: Researchers Suggest Ancient Specimens Were Crowded Out By Humans

WASHINGTON — Were the Neanderthals simply crowded out by the ancestors of modern humans? That’s the theory of a pair of British researchers, who say early modern humans outnumbered Neanderthals by 10-to-1 in a region of southwestern France they studied. Scientists have long debated the circumstances in which modern people replaced Neanderthals across Europe about 40,000 years ago. Leading researchers in the field challenged the research methods in the new study and added that the idea of a larger population prevailing is not new. Other theories have focused on climate change, differences in Neanderthals’ ability to think and other possibilities. In the report, in Friday’s edition of the journal Science, Paul Mellars and Jennifer C. French of England’s Cambridge University contend that “numerical supremacy alone may have been a critical factor” in human dominance. They conducted a statistical analysis of archaeological finds in France’s Perigord region, and concluded that stone tools and animal food remains showing evidence of modern humans indicate a much larger population than of Neanderthals in the region. That, they said, would undermine the ability of the Neanderthals to compete for food and other necessities. Paleoanthropologist Erik Trinkaus, of Washington University in St. Louis, commented that he had argued two years ago that evidence that early humans used more resources and engaged in more intensive labor probably indicated a larger population density. In addition, Trinkaus challenged the data in the new report, commenting that the idea of using the number of human gathering sites and their size, tool counts, and other pieces of evidence “pooled together over millennia to estimate relative population sizes was long ago rejected by archaeologists.” Trinkaus said the number of human sites has little, if anything, to do with how many people were around. “For example, a highly mobile group of hunter-gatherers will leave vastly fewer, if any, recognizable sites than one that stayed put for major periods of the year and accumulated trash in one place,” he said. Several experts agreed the conclusion of the paper wasn’t new. Christopher Ramsey of the School of Archaeology at England’s University of Oxford said it provided “more quantitative evidence for what many already thought to be the case – that is that modern humans simply replaced Neanderthals by gaining higher population densities.” And Joao Zilhao, a research professor at the University of Barcelona, argued that the methods used to estimate the population were outdated. He said modern humans didn’t simply replace Neanderthals anyway, “as the overwhelming genetic and paleontological evidence shows what happened was assimilation, not replacement.” ___ Array

Continue reading …

Now the ball is in the Senate Democrats' court. Unfortunately for them, they don't even have a written bill yet. Will the media put the onus back on Democrats who are split between tax hikers and non-tax hikers? List of GOP “no” votes follows below the break… House Republicans voting against increase Amash-MI Bachmann-MN Broun-GA Chaffetz-UT Cravaak-MN Desjarlais-TN Duncan-SC Gowdy-SC Graves-GA Huelskamp-KS Johnson-IL Jordan-OH King-IA Latham-IA Mack-FL McClintock-CA Mulvaney-SC Paul-TX Scott-SC Southerland-FL Walsh-IL Wilson-SC

Continue reading …

You’d think a movie called Cowboys and Aliens could at least hold your attention–but though the acting is good, there’s not much else to keep things interesting. The film is “chockfull of elements from classic oaters—a posse, a dusty round-up, saloon stand-offs—as well as monster flick staples like…

Continue reading …

Home Sales Rise

No Comment
Home Sales Rise

California Pending Home Sales Rise in June; Distressed Properties Remain Flat, CAR Reports Existing home sales rise in second quarter of 2011 California Pending Home Sales Rise in May on Monthly and Annual Basis, CAR Reports jonpotcinske says: Pending Home Sales Rise For 3rd Straight Month http://p.ost.im/p/eenXhh

Continue reading …

daniel craig Mashup 2010 Daniel Craig & Toby Jones kiss (Infamous) Rickie & Melvin meet James Bond, Daniel Craig

Continue reading …
Reading While Eating for July 29: Want to Fight About It?

Friday’s links are all about squabbles, from canine disagreements to a music-video list worth arguing over. Science Snafu: This Fox News anchor really should have known better than to cross Bill Nye, the Science Guy. (The Daily What) Internet Killed the Video Star: From a claymation Peter Gabriel to treadmill-dancing OK Go, see the 30

Continue reading …

We already knew the Great Recession was the worst in decades, but in fact we were even worse off than we thought, new figures show. The economy shrank 5.1% over the course of the recession, from 2007 to 2009—1 percentage point worse than the earlier estimate of 4….

Continue reading …

Trending Topics is a column that looks at the week in hockey according to Twitter. If you’re only going to comment to say how stupid Twitter is, why not just go have a good cry for the slow, sad death of your dear internet instead? You’re not gonna hear people say this too often, one suspects. But man, Glen Sather did one hell of a job in the last month. And getting Brad Richards might be the …

Continue reading …
IDC: Nokia, LG see significant Q2 shipping decline, Apple continues to grow

Well, the numbers are in and Q2′s proved to be a mixed bag for the mobile market. According to IDC , cellphone makers shipped a total of 365.4 million units last quarter, a year-over-year increase of 11.3 percent. Nokia, while still the world’s largest handset maker, suffered a significant blow, with shipments dropping from 111.1 million in Q2 2010 to 88.5 million; the company’s market share was similarly down, hitting 24.2 percent, compared to last year’s 33.8 percent. LG Electronics was the only other manufacturer to see a loss, with shipments dropping to 24.8 million from 30.6 million in 2010. Apple managed to maintain its recently acquired number four spot, with iPhone shipments hitting 20.3 million, up year-over-year from 8.4 million. RIM was conspicuously missing from the top five lineup, while ZTE landed the number five position. In news that shouldn’t surprise anyone with a pulse, the feature phone market saw a decline this year, surprisingly its first since Q3 2009. If you’re jonesing for more market share and shipping stats, hop on past the break for the full PR. Continue reading IDC: Nokia, LG see significant Q2 shipping decline, Apple continues to grow IDC: Nokia, LG see significant Q2 shipping decline, Apple continues to grow originally appeared on Engadget on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:34:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …