Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2519)
Syrian regime tanks return to Hama

City still mourning its June dead comes under attack again as regime forces smash makeshift barricades As the sun was rising on the last day before Ramadan, the moment Hama’s residents had feared finally arrived. Through the barren landscape came the ominous rumble of tanks, heading towards the city from four directions as they bore down on the piles of tyres and bricks that locals had laid out across the main roads as makeshift checkpoints. “They started shooting with heavy machines guns at civilians, at the young men protecting the barricades,” said Omar Halabi, an activist in the city, speaking by Skype. “People started to scream, to say Allahu Akbar and wake each other up. They started to come down into the streets.” Few of Hama’s residents have believed they would get away with protesting in their thousands against the regime of Bashar al-Assad indefinitely, and on the eve of Ramadan, when protests are expected to intensify, the regime clearly decided it had had enough. The regime’s security forces had withdrawn from the city after the weekend of 3 June after shooting over 70 residents dead after Friday prayers. Since then thousands have poured into al-Aasi square, just steps from the Orontes river which divides the city of some 800,000 into east and west. They have carried olive branches and pink roses calling for the toppling of the regime, repeating protest chants called out from a central podium and eating food and drink given out by volunteers. The city has continued to function as people have drawn together to run their own neighbourhoods and set up barricades to prevent forces entering. But 31 July seems set to join 3 June and February 1982 – the year when Bashar’s father and former president Hafez quashed an armed Islamist revolt, killing at least 10,000 – as dates burnt on Hama’s collective memory. An ominous sign that the security forces were on their way came when water and electricity was cut in many areas, repeating a tactic in other cities prior to military incursions. The rumblings of tanks carrying soldiers could be heard as they made their way along the dusty main streets. A father of three, awoken from his sleep, told the Guardian early Saturday morning that tanks and armoured vehicles were coming into the edges of the city from all points of the compass by 5.30am. “They are shooting, trying to get into the city,” said the man who asked not be named, the sound of gunfire audible in the background. Snipers have been one of the deadliest and most effective weapons deployed by the regime during the four and a half months of protests that have gripped Syria. They were spotted on the roofs of the state-owned electricity company and the main prison, a resident told Reuters. Amateur video footage uploaded showed black smoke rising from the city and a mosque minaret being fired on. Residents reported bodies lying in the streets and the injured piling into Hourani and al-Badr hospitals as doctors called out for more blood. Some activists said many had been shot in the head, while others had been run over by tanks. A child aged five was among those killed. Many were killed as the residents tried to fight back. Two men reached in the city said the protesters refused to abandon the checkpoints, but tried to force tanks to back off. “People grabbed whatever they could and went into the streets with bare chests, walking towards the tanks with wooden bats, steel bars or stones,” Halabi said. “It was unbelievable that people were running towards the firing rather than away from it.” Most of the casualties came from among these people, but activists also reported random shooting at homes in the northern area of the city. For almost four hours residents described the shooting as continuous: a cacophony of machine gunfire mixed with the heavy thuds of tank fire. “This is not Kalashnikov fire today – it is all heavy artillery and machine guns – 500mm guns,” said Halabi. While the people were no match for tanks, several residents said that by Sunday the security forces had not reached all the central areas of the city. “We confirmed 17 tanks,” said Wissam Tarif, the head of human rights group Insan, who is in contact with residents in the city. “But people are talking of many more than that.” The death toll, circulated online by Twitter and human rights activists, rose rapidly throughout the early hours of the morning, reaching over 20 by 10am. By early afternoon the Local Coordination Committees had confirmed 49 names of the dead, Ammar Qurabi of the National Organisation for Human Rights, reported 95 while residents reached by phone told the Guardian local estimates were over 100. Despite shows of bravery, fear was palpable in the city. Some residents said they were hunkering down inside, calling people in different areas to find out the latest news. “I daren’t go further than my front gate; many people are afraid to leave the city because they fear they will be fired on,” said the father of three, reached again later in the afternoon. He said some protesters were trying to break into police stations to get weapons to defend themselves, while others had captured four snipers. Unlike other cities where some protesters report buying arms, protesters and checkpoint guards in Hama have used just stones and wooden bats. Other than the hanging of an informer on 4 June, there have been few reports of retaliatory attacks against government forces. By early afternoon some residents said the gunfire had become more intermittent. But the city is braced for more violence following alleged defections. “We confirmed an officer defecting with soldiers and two tanks. It could yet turned uglier as when soldier defect in small numbers we end up seeing a search and kill operation,” said Tarif. But bloodshed – human rights groups say over 1,600 people have been killed since mid-March – has yet to convince anti-regime protesters to kowtow. “We have come this far; we can’t go back now,” said the father in Hama. Nour Ali is the pseudonym of a journalist in Damascus Syria Bashar Al-Assad Arab and Middle East unrest Middle East guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Verdict for 2 Americans in Iran Within a Week

The lawyer for two Americans jailed in Iran on charges of espionage said Sunday the court will announce its verdict within a week, dashing hopes for their immediate release after a final hearing in the case. (July 31)

Continue reading …
The Republican Debt Orgy in Pictures

enlarge Credit: New York Times ( Click here for larger image .) “In Washington more spending and more debt is business as usual,” House Speaker John Boehner declared on Monday before warning, “I’ve got news for Washington – those days are over.” The days, Boehner should have explained, before Barack Obama took the oath of office. As Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) rightly pointed on the Senate floor last year, “We would have none of this if it hadn’t been for the Republican debt orgy that they went through.” Which is exactly right. As a few handy charts show, Republican presidents and the current GOP leadership in Congress presided over that debt debauchery. And now they demand Democrats clean up their mess. In case Americans had forgotten that Ronald Reagan tripled the national debt and George W. Bush doubled it , the New York Times presented the helpful reminder above. For their part, Republicans want to pretend history began on January 20, 2009. While Texas Rep. Jeb Hensarling claimed Friday that for Republicans raising the debt ceiling is “contrary to our DNA,” House Minority Leader Eric Cantor protested two weeks ago, “I don’t think the White House understands is how difficult it is for fiscal conservatives to say they’re going to vote for a debt ceiling increase.” As McClatchy showed, Republicans are as bad at genetics and history as they are at economics: Leave aside for the moment that small government icon Ronald Reagan signed 17 debt ceiling increases into law. (That might explain why the Gipper repeatedly demanded Congress boost his borrowing authority and called the oceans of red ink he bequeathed to America his greatest regret .) As it turns out, Republican majorities voted seven times to raise the debt ceiling under President Bush and the current GOP leadership team voted a combined 19 times to bump the debt limit $4 trillion during his tenure. (That vote tally included a “clean” debt ceiling increase in 2004, backed by 98 current House Republicans and 31 sitting GOP Senators.) Of course, they had to. After all, the two unfunded wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the budget-busting Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 (the first war-time tax cut in modern U.S. history) and the Medicare prescription drug program drained the U.S. Treasury. Mitch McConnell, John Boehner and Eric Cantor voted for all of it . Again, in words and pictures, the New York Times tells the tale: As the Washington Post summed up the CBO’s conclusions regarding the causes of the nation’s mounting debt earlier this year, “The biggest culprit, by far, has been an erosion of tax revenue triggered largely by two recessions and multiple rounds of tax cuts.” The analysis by the Times echoed that finding: With President Obama and Republican leaders calling for cutting the budget by trillions over the next 10 years, it is worth asking how we got here — from healthy surpluses at the end of the Clinton era, and the promise of future surpluses, to nine straight years of deficits, including the $1.3 trillion shortfall in 2010. The answer is largely the Bush-era tax cuts, war spending in Iraq and Afghanistan, and recessions. But as Ezra Klein explained in the Washington Post, the revealing Times chart doesn’t tell the full story of the impact of Bush-era policies on future debt facing Barack Obama: What’s also important, but not evident, on this chart is that Obama’s major expenses were temporary — the stimulus is over now — while Bush’s were, effectively, recurring. The Bush tax cuts didn’t just lower revenue for 10 years. It’s clear now that they lowered it indefinitely, which means this chart is understating their true cost. Similarly, the Medicare drug benefit is costing money on perpetuity, not just for two or three years. And Boehner, Ryan and others voted for these laws and, in some cases, helped to craft and pass them. These two graphs from the Washington Post and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities make that point crystal clear. Analyses by CBPP showed that the Bush tax cuts accounted for half of the deficits during his tenure, and if made permanent , over the next decade would cost the U.S. Treasury more than Iraq, Afghanistan, the recession, TARP and the stimulus – combined . Utah Senator Orrin Hatch was telling the truth when he described Republican fiscal mismanagement during the Bush years by acknowledging, “It was standard practice not to pay for things.” As Paul Krugman documented, the jump in federal spending as a percentage of GDP under President Obama is almost completely explained by the contraction of the economy and the stimulus programs now ending. (Republicans always take great to care to avoid mentioning that the total federal tax burden as a percentage of the U.S. economy is at its lowest level in 60 years even as income inequality is at its highest in 80.) As Krugman summed it up: Now, pointing out the Obama spending binge is a myth generally produces rage: people know that it happened, because Rush Limbaugh and the Wall Street Journal say so. But that doesn’t make it true. Put another way, when it comes to the American balance sheet, Republicans broke it. Now, they claim, Democrats own it. (This piece also appears at Perrspectives. )

Continue reading …
Bill Maher’s New Rule For Glenn Beck (VIDEO)

On this week’s episode of “Real Time With Bill Maher,” Maher dedicates one of his new rules to ex-Fox News host Glenn Beck, who recently gave a riveting keynote address at the Christians United For Israel Summit. Watch a preview clip featuring the rule below, wherein Maher takes issue with Beck for pleading at the summit, “Count me a Jew and come for me first” if there is ever another Holocaust. Beck is holding a rally in Jerusalem next month. “Real Time” airs Fridays at 10:00 p.m. EST on HBO. WATCH:

Continue reading …
Zara Phillips <![CDATA[&]]> Mike Tindall Married In U.K. Royal Wedding (PHOTOS)

Text by SCOTT HEPPELL, the Associated Press EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) — Queen Elizabeth II’s granddaughter Zara Phillips married England rugby star Mike Tindall on Saturday — but Britain’s second royal wedding of the year was largely a low-key affair, with only a hint of the glamor and excitement of Prince William’s showstopping nuptials. Phillips, 30, who is 13th in line to the throne but does not use a royal title, and Tindall, 32, were greeted by hundreds of flag-waving well-wishers and the sound of traditional bagpipes as they left their wedding service at Edinburgh’s Canongate Kirk following a private ceremony. The often publicity shy bride wore a traditional ivory silk gown and a full-length flowing veil, but posed only briefly for onlookers — and gave her husband a fleeting, modest kiss — as they left the 17th century church for a reception at the queen’s Scottish residence, the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Take a look at photos from the ceremony and scroll down to keep reading! Unlike William and Kate Middleton’s spectacular ceremony in April, the wedding service led by Rev. Neil Gardner was not broadcast on television and crowds gathered in the Scottish city were warned by police there would be little for them to see. Members of the public packed along Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, the city’s famed cobbled boulevard, cheered loudly for William and Middleton, now known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, as they arrived to join the congregation, traveling in a sleek black sedan with Prince Harry. Middleton, wearing a biscuit colored coat, dress and large angled hat won a warm reception as she offered a wave, as did the queen and Duke of Edinburgh who arrived shortly before the bride. While the details of Middleton’s wedding gown were a closely guarded secret, Phillips — more commonly seen in jeans or sportswear — made an expected choice in choosing Stewart Parvin, a British designer favored by the queen. She also wore a Greek Key tiara lent to her by mother Princess Anne, and Jimmy Choo shoes. Parvin also designed the queen’s apricot wool coat and silk dress. Peta Hunt, fashion director of You & Your Wedding magazine said the ivory gown hinted at the bride’s quirky personality. “Who else could go to a wedding and have their dress done by the same person who does their granny’s? It allowed her to move with ease and grace, but had an element of fun and flirtiness,” Hunt said. The occasion was far removed from April’s international spectacle at Westminster Abbey, but neatly reflected the couple’s unflashy style. Tindall had even proposed in a modest setting, as he and Phillips curled up on a sofa at home watching a movie. Before the ceremony, royal officials confirmed that Phillips will keep her maiden name rather than be known as Mrs. Tindall, largely because of her sporting career. Phillips is known better for her sporting achievements than her royal heritage, as a world class equestrian who is likely to compete in the 2012 Olympics. Tindall — who Phillips met in 2003 in Australia during England’s triumphant Rugby World Cup campaign — is a leading rugby player who has captained his country. The ceremony was the first royal wedding held in Scotland since 1992, when Princess Anne — the mother of the bride — married her second husband, Timothy Laurence. Anne’s elder child, Peter Phillips, married his Canadian partner Autumn Kelly in 2008. Even the prospect of a brief glimpse of the royal family was enough to entice hundreds to Edinburgh for Saturday’s wedding, including a few dozen stalwarts who camped overnight to win a front row view. Waving a Canadian flag, Margaret Kittle, 76, said she had traveled from Ontario, Canada, and staked out a spot on Friday night. “I flew over last Saturday and have been here since last night. I started following the royals after I saw George VI and the Queen back home in Canada when I was 4 years old,” she said. Helen Sutherland, a 65-year-old from Muir of-Ord in the Scottish Highlands, was wrapped in a warm blanket as she waited for a glimpse of Britain’s newest royal couple. “It got chilly through the night, but we want to see the bride and her dress. They seem to be a very happy couple,” she said. Phillips and Tindall hosted a glitzy cocktail party late Friday for relatives and guests aboard the former royal yacht Britannia, which they had hired for the occasion. The famous ship, once used by the queen to tour the world, was decommissioned in 1997. But the party was a rare moment of public glamor for the couple, who are known for putting their devotion to sports ahead of their celebrity. The couple’s honeymoon has been postponed because both are due to feature in major events next week — the bride in horse trials, and the groom in England’s rugby international against Wales. — David Stringer in London contributed to this report.

Continue reading …
Logitech officially drops Revue price to $99 today, clarifies ‘more returns than sales’ remark

Google TV not worth 300 bones to ya? How’s about a cool Benjamin? As promised , Logitech has slashed the price of its Revue set-top box from $299 to $99 on its own site and at retailers like Best Buy, giving prospective customers something awfully tempting to consider alongside the prospect of running Honeycomb on their TV right away . Oh, and the much-reported nugget from its earnings about “returns exceeding sales”? It should probably be noted that wasn’t about returns from end users, which the company claims “have averaged at levels comparable to other Logitech products”, but from the distributors and retailers it sells most of its hardware to. So, you in, or are you still holding out for the 90 percent off sale that may or may not ever materialize? Continue reading Logitech officially drops Revue price to $99 today, clarifies ‘more returns than sales’ remark Logitech officially drops Revue price to $99 today, clarifies ‘more returns than sales’ remark originally appeared on Engadget on Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:28:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …

“OFFICIAL —-WE HAVE A DEAL!!!!!!!!!” tweeted Indianapolis Colts’ owner Jim Irsay in caps last night, as the Colts signed Peyton Manning to a $90 million, five-year contract, reports the Indianapolis Star . The deal likely ensures the 35-year-old quarterback will stay a Colt for the rest of his career. Although the…

Continue reading …

Doug Fister

No Comment
Doug Fister

Detroit Tigers acquire Doug Fister and David Pauley Tigers trade for David Pauly and Doug Fister Bobby Abreu 1300th Career RBI vs Mariners TedleyFresh says: RT @ tweetmesohard : Tigers traded for pitcher Doug Fister . Now we have a Fister and a dude named Charlie Furbush llal I can’t wait to get those jerseys! Mono

Continue reading …

Mma

No Comment
Mma

MMA Exclusive Tim Kennedy vs Robbie Lawler fight video_(new)454238008 Tim Kennedy vs Robbie Lawler fight video_(new)497840524 seema2003 says: Fedor’s fadeout: Have you always wanted to break the arms and legs of MMA masters, but aren’t exactly in peak ph… http://bit.ly/oIRZ8B

Continue reading …

Translate

No Comment
Translate

DOWNLOAD Site Translator 4.05 FULL VERSION FREE DOWNLOAD Web Translator 8.22 FULL VERSION FREE All My Life America – Newman Elites NirvanalannahF1 says: I don’t think people understand you can’t translate humor, a german man is trying to translate a joke. And I’m pretending its hilarious

Continue reading …