Forty years later, the FBI just might be closer to nailing the bold hijacker who parachuted scot free from a hijacked plane with $200,000 in ransom. Officials say they have their “most promising” lead yet in the decades-long search for DB Cooper. A suspect’s name and an unrevealed piece…
Continue reading …Not so fast. Is the debt ceiling agreement settled? Or could it still go down in flames?”We all may not be able to support it, or none us may be able to support it,” Minority leader Nancy Pelosi ominously told reporters yesterday ahead of today’s expected Democratic caucus on the…
Continue reading …The death toll in the massive pre-Ramadan crackdown on Syrian rebels has surged to 100 and climbing. Tanks stormed Hama, ground-zero of the uprising, as well as several other towns in the second-bloodiest day since the revolution began in March, reports the Washington Post . President Obama said he was “appalled…
Continue reading …The Bachelorette Reunion – The Men Tell All – Talk about Bentley – Ashley Hebert Ashley Hebert – The Men Tell All Ashley Hebert – The Men Tell All – Most Memorable Moments quotethegirl says: :O ashley hebert http://t.co/9qDmLjS When is the Bachelorette Episode 7 ( Ashley ) going to be uploaded to ABC?
Continue reading …The latest twist in the on-going Apple / Samsung patent soap opera is a doozy, particularly for Android fans Down Under. Samsung will not be advertising or selling the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia, at least until the Korean company gets court approval to do so — or until the suit is resolved. Due to differences between the US and Australian versions of the Android tablet, Samsung is required to present the device to Apple at least seven days before its planned launch. Apple claims that the US version of the tablet infringes on ten of the company’s patents. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 sales halted in Australia by Apple suit originally appeared on Engadget on Mon, 01 Aug 2011 09:00:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink
Continue reading …While the Daytona 500 kicks off a race to the top each year in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, the Nokia 500 is a race to the bottom. Nokia on Monday announced a new Symbian-powered smartphone that will aggressively attack emerging markets and smartphone users on a budget. The €150 ($217) Nokia 500 costs about what most popular smartphones do after subsidies, and it features specs we’re not used to seeing… Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : The Boy Genius Report Discovery Date : 01/08/2011 11:31 Number of articles : 2
Continue reading …Former Labour MP who was jailed for 16 months for submitting false invoices is released after serving a quarter of his sentence Expenses cheat MP Jim Devine has been released from prison after serving just a quarter of his sentence, sources said. The former Labour MP for Livingston, who was jailed for 16 months in March after being branded a liar by his trial judge, was released from Standford Hill prison in Kent on Monday morning. He spent four months behind bars after submitting false invoices totalling £8,385 between 2008 and 2009 – after politicians’ claims had already become front-page news. It is understood that Devine, 58, was freed under the home detention curfew scheme, which allows prisoners who pose a low risk to be tagged and released early after serving at least a quarter of their sentence. He is the third former MP jailed over the parliamentary expenses scandal to be released. Eric Illsley and David Chaytor have already been tagged and released under the same scheme after serving part of their sentences. Devine told his Southwark crown court trial that he was acting on advice given with a “nod and a wink” by a fellow MP in a House of Commons bar. But his defence was rejected by the jury and the trial judge Mr Justice Saunders said he had been “lying in significant parts of the evidence he gave”. Devine “set about defrauding the public purse in a calculated and deliberate way”, the judge said. “Mr Devine made his false claims at a time when he well knew the damage that was being caused to Parliament by the expenses scandal, but he carried on regardless.” He also tried to pin the blame on his former office manager, Marion Kinley, claiming she had paid herself more than £5,000 from his staffing allowance without his knowledge. Devine will be on the home detention curfew scheme for the next four months before spending the last eight months of his sentence on probation. A Labour party spokesman said: “Jim Devine was excluded from the Labour party some time ago and is no longer a member.” Illsley, 56, who was jailed for 12 months in February for fiddling £14,500 in expenses, was released in May after three months behind bars. He dishonestly obtained an average of £100 a week more than he was entitled to over a three-year period. And Chaytor spent four and a half months behind bars after admitting he fiddled his parliamentary expenses to falsely claim more than £22,000 of taxpayers’ money. Chaytor, 61, became the first former MP to be jailed since Tory peer Lord Archer when he was sentenced to 18 months in January. In March, the court of appeal rejected an attempt by the former lecturer and ex-Labour MP for Bury North to have his prison sentence reduced , ruling that his offences were “a grave breach of trust” that contributed to “serious damage” to parliament’s reputation. A Prison Service spokeswoman said: “A home detention curfew [HDC] is available to low-risk prisoners serving sentences of more than three months and less than four years, who are deemed appropriate for early release. “To be placed on HDC, a prisoner must have served a quarter of their sentence and have spent a minimum of 30 days in prison.” But Emma Boon, campaign director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said that releasing Devine early “makes his sentence look like a hollow gesture and will do nothing to help restore public faith in parliament”. MPs’ expenses House of Commons guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …A Southern California city that was hit harder than most by the economic recession is pinning its hopes on a decommissioned air base that’s being redeveloped as a hub for private aviation. (August 1)
Continue reading …Remember how Al Sharpton was among the first black leaders to speak out in favor of Comcast's acquisition of NBC Universal? My recollection of this was vague at best, tending as I do to dismiss nearly everything coming from Sharpton as insignificant, predictable or clownish. Then after FCC approval of the merger back in January, Sharpton began appearing more often as a guest on MSNBC, a cable network subsidiary of NBC that performs yeoman's work in public relations for the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party. A July 27 article at The Daily Beast by Wayne Barrett, “Sharpton's Affirmative-Action Win,” asks whether Sharpton's expected new show on MSNBC is “payback” for supporting Comcast's merger with NBC Universal. Barrett's article leaves little doubt as to the answer. Barrett points out that Michael Copps, a Democrat serving on the FCC since 2001, voted against the merger, saying it “erodes diversity, localism and competition” and was a “stake in the heart of independent content production.” Barrett writes — But Mignon Clyburn, the daughter of South Carolina Congressman James Clyburn and the only minority member of the FCC, threw her decisive support behind the deal, citing a comprehensive diversity memorandum of agreement (MOU)
Continue reading …