On Monday, Politico reported that “several sources” in a private meeting of House Democrats confirmed that Vice President Joe Biden accused Tea Party Republicans of having “acted like terrorists.” CBS and ABC completely punted the story on their evening and morning newscasts. NBC made mention of the controversy, but only to further Biden's denial of having made the comment. CBS's omission was particularly stunning given that Evening News anchor Scott Pelley interviewed the Vice President on Monday. Politico noted that Pelley actually did ask about the 'terrorist' remark: “'I did not use the terrorism word,' Biden told CBS Evening News anchor and managing editor Scott Pelley.” However, Pelley's question and Biden's denial were completely scrubbed from the portion of the interview aired on Monday's Evening News or Tuesday's Early Show. What part of the interview did make the cut? This exchange in which Pelley invited Biden to decry incivility in Washington: SCOTT PELLEY: Having watched all of this over the last few weeks, has Washington lost its ability to make deals and talk to each other? There has been so much name-calling, so much finger-pointing. JOE BIDEN: This is a cycle. This is a cycle. I predict to you that a lot of those new members who came here with 'My way or the highway,' they'll either be on the highway or they'll learn that they have to have compromise. Meanwhile, on ABC's World News, correspondent Jon Karl simply noted that Biden “came to Capitol Hill to close the deal, giving House and Senate Democrats a much-needed pep talk.” Good Morning America similarly ignored the terrorist comment. On NBC's Nightly News, Capitol Hill correspondent Kelly O'Donnell reported: “…the Vice President was in a heated meeting with liberal Democrats in the House, many of them were throwing around terms like 'terrorist' and 'hostage takers,' referring to the Tea Party. Tonight, the Vice President's office says he didn't use those words and doesn't believe it's appropriate fo political discourse, but members did.” She failed to point out Politico's “several” Democratic sources claiming otherwise. In addition, in the taped report that followed, O'Donnell declared: “The Vice President met privately for hours with House and Senate Democrats to take the heat and cool some tempers.” On Tuesday's NBC Today, O'Donnell didn't even mention Biden's denial, but simply explained that he had gotten “caught up in that conversation” of House Democrats calling Tea Party members of Congress terrorists.
Continue reading …(YouTube link) Pinball gets a new twist when you play on the street, with people as the balls and bumpers! This stop-motion video is from the 2011 Animation Block Party Film Festival in New York City. -via The Daily What Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : Neatorama Discovery Date : 02/08/2011 14:45 Number of articles : 3
Continue reading …Home secretary’s proposal angers officers, some of whom already expect to lose £4,000 a year through pay reforms Senior police officers are facing up to £2,800 extra a year in pension contributions as a result of the Whitehall public spending cuts drive. The home secretary, Theresa May, told the police service on Tueday that rank and file officers should expect annual rises in contributions of £349 for a new constable to £1,169 for a senior PC. The increases are being introduced as part of the government’s target of cutting the public sector pension bill by £2.8bn a year and follow detailed announcements last week on the additional contributions facing teachers, nurses and civil
Continue reading …Agreement to increase US debt limit gains enough votes to pass in Senate – with Obama expected to sign it into law immediately Congress has buried the spectre of a US debt default after it finally passed a deficit-cutting package – but the shadow lingered of a possible painful downgrade of the top-notch American credit rating. Just hours before the Treasury’s authority to borrow funds ran out, the Senate voted 74 to 26 to pass a hard-won compromise to lift the US government’s $14.3 trillion debt ceiling to last beyond the November 2012 elections. President Barack Obama, who will seek a second term next year, was expected to immediately sign the deal into law. His signature is set to draw a line under months of bitter partisan squabbling over debt and deficit strategy that had threatened chaos in global financial markets and dented America’s stature as the world’s economic superpower. There was little suspense about the outcome of the vote in the Democratic-controlled Senate. The bill overcame its biggest hurdle late on Monday when the Republican-led House of Representatives passed the $2.1 trillion deficit-reduction plan despite some resistance from Tea Party conservatives and liberal Democrats. Uncertainty remained, however, over whether the budget deal goes far enough in reining in deficits to satisfy major ratings agencies, which have threatened to downgrade the United States’ AAA credit rating. Such a move would raise borrowing costs and act as another drag on the stumbling economy. Ratings agency Standard and Poor’s said in mid-July there was a 50-50 chance it would cut US ratings in the next three months if lawmakers failed to craft a meaningful deficit-cutting plan. S&P could downgrade US ratings soon after the bill is signed by Obama, given that the agency will have all the information it needs to make a decision. Treasury secretary Timothy Geithner said he expected the ratings agencies to take a “careful look” at the situation but he was not sure whether the United States would be spared from a downgrade. “I don’t know. It’s hard to tell,” he told ABC News. The plan calls for $2.1 trillion in spending cuts spread over 10 years, and creates a congressional committee to recommend a deficit-reduction package by late November. That appears to fall short of rating agency S&P’s previous assertion that $4 trillion in deficit-reduction measures would be needed to avoid a downgrade by showing that Washington was putting the country’s finances in order. US Congress US economy US politics United States Barack Obama Economics guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …British recording artist Natalia Kills talks about being signed by will.i.am’s label and tackling the darker side of pop music. (Aug. 2)
Continue reading …[1] For the past seven months, Kees van Dijkhuizen’s been releasing tribute videos for his yearlong “[the films of]” project, each showcasing the work of a different director via a montage, and we at /Film have been with him since the beginning [2]. For his newest installment, however, van Dijkhuizen chose to go a slightly different route: Rather than select one auteur to focus on, he’s chosen an entire… Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : /Film Discovery Date : 01/08/2011 05:00 Number of articles : 3
Continue reading …Tiger Woods is back on a PGA Tour golf course for the first time in nearly three months after an injury layoff. (Aug. 2)
Continue reading …After a recent pair of repeat sartorial performances, one at Zara Phillips’ yacht party and another at her wedding, we decided to take a look at some of the former-Kate Middleton’s favorite things. The Duchess of Cambridge hasn’t hesitated to shop her closet, bringing back oldies but goodies on the regular. Her Canadian tour gave us a previously unprecedented glimpse into her wardrobe, showing us just how much she loves a recycled outfit. Twill pants by J Brand, nude L. K. Bennett pumps, a Smythe blazer and Pied à Terre slingback wedges got the most wear on the 11-day tour, but since being named Duchess of Cambridge, she’s also worn dresses and coats from years ago…dating back to even — gasp — 2006! As Rachel Zoe so poignantly put it, “I think that just makes her so much more human and approachable. Like, I just went into my closet and grabbed this pair of skinny jeans, little jacket and left. And I think that’s great, and that white [Reiss] dress that she wore, she’s worn that twice, which I love.” Take a look at a handful of the Duchess’ outfit repeats and let us know what you think — which looks are worth a re-wearing and which should be left behind?
Continue reading …For the fifth straight year, Islamic militant group al-Shabab used the start of Ramadan to launch attacks in Somalia, reports CNN . Despite one of the worst famines in 60 years , al-Shabab fighters attacked African Union forces in northeastern Mogadishu yesterday with suicide bombers, guns, and mortars. “In the midst of…
Continue reading …