Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2438)

When you think of dangerous jobs, housekeeper doesn’t usually spring to mind. But it’s becoming a pretty hazardous profession, thanks to the “amenities arms race” that has big hotels installing luxury mattresses that weigh more than 100 pounds each, writes activist Donald Cohen in the LA Times . A recent report…

Continue reading …

Indexsp%3a.inx

No Comment
Indexsp%3a.inx

Market Wrap Up: October 1, 2010 SmarTrend MidDay Market Update: October 1, 2010 Market Wrap Up: September 30th steveglista says: Good thing Congress passed a debt ceiling increase to fix the stock market. Oh wait http://t.co/MAUiNkC

Continue reading …
NHS medical records project shows little benefit, say MPs

Department of Health has so far spent £6.4bn on the programme, including £2.7bn on patient records The Department of Health will not deliver the £11bn programme intended to create electronic records for all 55 million NHS patients in England and has been “unable to demonstrate” any benefits for the taxpayer, according to a scathing report from MPs. The Commons public accounts committee said parts of the national programme for IT have proved to be unworkable. The Department of Health has so far spent £6.4bn on the programme, which was launched in 2002, including £2.7bn on patient records. MPs said the intention of creating electronic records was a “worthwhile aim” but one “that has proved beyond the capacity of the department to deliver”. The IT project has floundered almost since the day it was conceived. The national scheme was broken up into five administrative areas, with each region handing out a contract – often worth billions – to big private players, which, it was envisaged, would commission software houses to write computer code. However, the scale of the project has caused companies to walk away, leaving just two groups holding contracts: BT, which is working to put NHS London online; and CSC, which is supposed to have created the computer system for everywhere but the south of the country. CSC has bought iSoft, the company responsible for a large base of installed systems in the NHS that failed to produce a working electronic patient record system, raising the prospect of the health service being tied to one software house. The committee said: “Implementation of alternative up-to-date IT systems has fallen significantly behind schedule and costs have escalated. The [health]department could have avoided some of the pitfalls and waste if they had consulted at the start of the process with health professionals.” The report said officials were “unable to show what has been achieved for the £2.7bn spent to date on care records systems”, adding that taxpayers were “clearly overpaying BT”. The company was receiving £9m for every NHS site, yet the same systems had been sold for just £2m to other hospitals. Richard Bacon, a Conservative MP on the committee who has followed the project since its launch, said there had been “deliberate concealment by the Department of Health”. He said that when Christine Connelly, the department’s director-general for informatics, and Sir David Nicholson, chief executive of the NHS, came before the committee, they failed to mention that they had just paid contractors £200m for the project. “The department had told us no private company gets paid until the project gets delivered,” said Bacon. “Then it emerged they paid them £2.5bn in advance payments. A week later we realised that they had given contractors another £200m. Some might say it’s deception.” Connelly left the department a few weeks after her appearance. “I think Sir David carries some responsibility. I think he should stick around so that there is a clear line of accountability for the mess,” Bacon said. The health department of Health has argued that breaking the contract would cost too much money, Bacon said, but this has been contradicted by statements given by CSC to the US stock exchange regulator, where the company admitted it “may receive materially less than the net asset value” of the NHS work if it were to lose the project. “It’s time for the department to tell the truth and stop propping up failing suppliers,” said Bacon. A spokesman for the department said: “We have already taken action to improve value for money in the NHS IT programme.The findings of the public accounts committee, alongside the outcome of the major project review authority, will contribute to the planning currently under way for future informatics support to the modernised NHS.” NHS Health Conservatives Tax and spending Randeep Ramesh guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Obama Signs Legislation to Avert Default

President Barack Obama has signed legislation to increase the nation’s borrowing authority and avert a potentially catastrophic government default. (Aug. 2)

Continue reading …

We’ve heard several stories of heroism following the Oslo massacre, but one big story seems to have slipped through the cracks: The story of Toril Hansen and Hege Dalen, who saved 40 teens from Utoya island in their boat. The couple made four trips to save the youths, even though…

Continue reading …
Oc Fisher Reservoir

Texas Water turn into Blood,Is the End of the World Near,No More Disrespect Dried up Lake – OC Fisher Lake in San Angelo Completely Dry!! Harvesting mesquite to fuel power plant vibgyor8888 says: EndTimes? Texas Lake Turns BloodRed | OC Fisher Reservoir , San Angelo | Drought & Heat Wave | LiveScience: http://t.co/eK3PHsp via @ addthis

Continue reading …
Italy approves draft law to ban burqa

Law moves country closer to joining France, Belgium and parts of Spain in outlawing face-covering in public An Italian parliamentary commission has approved a draft law banning women from wearing veils that cover their faces in public. The draft, which was passed by the constitutional affairs commission on Tuesday, would prohibit women from wearing a burqa, naqib or any other garment that covers the face in such circumstances. It would expand a decades-old law that for security reasons prohibits people from wearing face-covering items such as masks in public places. Women who violate the ban would face fines, while third parties who force women to cover their faces in public would be fined and face up to 12 months in jail. Italy is the latest European country to act against the burqa. France and Belgium have banned the wearing of burqa-style Islamic dress in public, as has a city in Spain. The Belgium law cited security concerns. The Italian law was sponsored by Souad Sbai, a Moroccan-born member of Silvio Berlusconi’s conservative Freedom People party, who said she wanted to help Islamic women integrate more into Italian society. “Five years ago, no one wore the burqa [in Italy]. Today, there is always more. We have to help women get out of this segregation … to get out of this submission,” Sbai said in a telephone interview. “I want to speak for those who don’t have a voice, who don’t have the strength to yell and say, ‘I am not doing well.’” The spokesman of an Islamic group said banning the Islamic veil “is unjust and touches individual liberty”. “This topic continues to be a sort of criminalisation and media dramatisation. In Italy, there aren’t even 100 women who wear the niqab, and not even one who wears the burqa,” Roberto Hamza Piccard, spokesman for the Union of Islamic Communities in Italy, was quoted by the news agency Ansa as saying. He said such a ban would isolate devout Muslim women, who would not be able to leave their homes. Ansa said the main opposition party voted against the law. The draft will be forwarded after the summer recess to parliament, where Berlusconi’s governing coalition has a narrow majority. The preliminary approval was welcomed by lawmaker Barbara Saltamartini, vice-president of the Freedom People party caucus in the lower house. “Final approval will put an end to the suffering of many women who are often forced to wear the burqa or niqab, which annihilates their dignity and gets in the way of integration,” Saltamartini said. Italy Europe Islam Religion guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Raw Video: White House Fence Jumper

An unidentified man was in Secret Service custody Tuesday night after he climbed over the White House fence. The man had a backpack that was being examined for possible explosive material. (Aug. 2)

Continue reading …

Talking Points Memo reports that Nancy Pelosi is drawing a line in the sand on what cuts the upcoming debt ceiling commission can make: At a pre-recess press conference Tuesday afternoon, TPM asked House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) whether the people she appoints to the committee will make the same stand she made during the debt limit fight — that entitlement benefits — as opposed to provider payments, waste and other Medicare spending — should be off limits. In short, yes. “That is a priority for us,” Pelosi said. “But let me say it is more than a priority – it is a value… it’s an ethic for the American people. It is one that all of the members of our caucus share. So that I know that whoever’s at that table will be someone who will fight to protect those benefits.” The question now becomes, “Will Harry Reid follow suit”? If he does then Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid will be protected. If even one of his selections, as TPM author Brian Beutler points out, doesn’t hold firm to the same standard as Pelosi, then cuts are almost certain to come.

Continue reading …
Boingo announces streamlined WiFi data plans with support for any two devices

Boingo’s WiFi plans may come in handy for frequent travelers, but they haven’t exactly been the most straightforward — especially if you’re using multiple devices. The company’s gone some way towards simplifying things today, however, announcing that it’s revised its unlimited WiFi data plans so that you can now use any two WiFi-enabled devices (as opposed to just two laptops) as part of the basic plan, and up to five more for an additional five bucks apiece. Unfortunately, none of those changes extend to the company’s recent partnership with GoGo for in-flight internet access, which you still have to cough up the full price for. Continue reading Boingo announces streamlined WiFi data plans with support for any two devices Boingo announces streamlined WiFi data plans with support for any two devices originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:58:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …