Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2417)

Vilnius

No Comment
Vilnius

Message!! Vilnius Mayor “Arturas Zuokas” Crushes Car With Tank To Send ‘Message’ Vilnius Mayor “Arturas Zuokas” Crushes Car With Tank To Send ‘Message’ Ç’ndodh kur parkon keq _sofiamt says: RT @ JeromeTaylor : VIDEO: Mayor of Vilnius tackles illegally parked cars with a tank http://t.co/mOFDA3h

Continue reading …

Sarah Palin has resurrected her 2008 ” palling around with terrorists ” line of attack on President Obama for use in today’s controversy. The Alaskan, defending the Tea Party from comparisons to terrorists , told Sean Hannity that “if we were really domestic terrorists, President Obama would want to be palling around with…

Continue reading …
Bachmann ad: ‘Someone needs to say no’

The Bachmann campaign released its third television ad today. It will air statewide in Iowa. In the ad, entitled “Believe It,” Bachmann stresses her votes against raising the debt ceiling. The ad is set on a street corner in Ames. Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : First Read Discovery Date : 03/08/2011 15:34 Number of articles : 4

Continue reading …
Famine is spreading in Somalia, says UN

The UN has declared famine in three more regions in Somalia and calls on Somalis everywhere to pull together Another three regions in Somalia are in famine, the UN declared Wednesday as it warned that the international humanitrian response to the crisis has been inadequate. The UN said the prevalence of acute malnutrition and rates of crude mortality surpassed the famine thresholds in areas of Middle Shabelle, the Afgoye corridor refugee settlement and internally displaced communities in Mogadishu, the capital. The UN last month said two other regions in southern Somalia – Bakool and Lower Shabelle – were suffering from famine, defined as when acute malnutrition exceeds 30% and when the death rate exceeds two per 10,000 a day. About 450,000 people live in Somalia’s famine zones, said Grainne Moloney, chief technical adviser for the UN’s food security and nutrition analysis unit. The UN’s food arm, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), said famine is likely to spread across all regions of Somalia’s south in the next four to six weeks, with famine conditions likely to last until December. A humanitarian emergency exists across all other regions of southern Somalia, and there have already been tens of thousands, according to the UN. “The current humanitarian response remains inadequate, due in part to ongoing access restrictions and difficulties in scaling‐up emergency assistance programmess, as well as funding gaps,” said the UN’s famine early warning system network. As a result, famine is expected to spread across all regions of the south in the coming four to six weeks and is likely to persist until at least December 2011. Continued efforts to implement an immediate, large scale, and comprehensive response are needed.” Aid efforts have been hampered in the south as elements of al-Shabaab, the Islamist insurgents, have refused access to western relief agencies. Throughout Somalia, 3.7 million people are in crisis, with 3.2 million people in need of immediate, lifesaving assistance, 2.8 million of whom are in the south. A senior UN official today appealed to all Somalis, both inside and outside the country, to work together to support the peace process and alleviate the plight of those suffering from famine. “This is a time of great crisis, but also of rare opportunity. It is a time for everyone to pull together to help those suffering and to work towards a better future for all,” Augustine Mahiga, the UN special representative for Somalia, said in a letter to the Somali diaspora . “I appeal to all those who are able – Somalis and the international community alike – to give as much as they can during this holy month (Ramadan) to feed the hungry, heal the sick and prevent the famine spreading further.” Mahiga noted that one of the contributing factors to the famine has been the fighting in the country and he criticised extremists for preventing the movement of people from the worst-hit areas. “We call for the humanitarian agencies to be given unhindered access to all areas to provide desperately needed help,” he said. Famine Somalia Africa Mark Tran guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Heather Mills claims Mirror Group journalist admitted hacking her phone

Former model told BBC’s Newsnight that in 2001 journalist admitted listening to message following row with Paul McCartney Heather Mills on Wednesday claimed a journalist from the Mirror Group admitted to her that he had obtained a story about her and her former husband Sir Paul McCartney by hacking into her mobile phone messages. The former model told the BBC’s Newsnight that the unidentified journalist called her in 2001, following a row with the ex-Beatle, who was then her boyfriend, and quoted parts of a message McCartney had left on her voicemail after she had travelled to India. According to Ms Mills, the journalist rang her and “started quoting verbatim the messages from my machine”. Ms Mills said she challenged the journalist, saying: “You’ve obviously hacked my phone and if you do anything with this story … I’ll go to the police.” She said the individual responded: “OK, OK, yeah we did hear it on your voice messages, I won’t run it.” The interview will be shown on the programme tonight. It will place the spotlight back on the Mirror’s publisher, Trinity Mirror, and the paper’s editor at the time, Piers Morgan. Mills told the BBC it was not Morgan who called her, but the corporation has chosen not to identify the journalist. Morgan, who now hosts a chat show for CNN, has consistently denied hacking into phones, having any knowledge about hacking at the title, or running stories obtained by using the method. A spokesman for Trinity Mirror said: “Trinity Mirror’s position is clear: all our journalists work within the criminal law and the PCC code of conduct”. Morgan wrote a column in the Mail on Sunday in 2006 in which he described being played a message that had been left by McCartney for Mills. “It was heartbreaking,” Morgan wrote. “The couple had clearly had a tiff, Heather had fled to India, and Paul was pleading with her to come back. He sounded lonely, miserable and desperate, and even sang ‘We Can Work it Out’ into the answer phone.” Mills was the subject of intense tabloid interest before, during and after her marriage from the former Beatle. She is considering launching legal action against the News of the World after the Metropolitan police confirmed to her earlier this year that her mobile-phone number and other details had been found in notebooks belonging to Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator who worked for the News of the World. Morgan wrote in his published diary, The Insider, that following a personal request from McCartney he had pulled a story about Mills and McCartney arguing in 2001 over Mills’s decision to go to India to help the victims of an earthquake. Newsnight also claims it has established that other celebrities, including Ulrika Jonsson, beleive their phones were hacked by the Daily Mirror or its Sunday sister title the Sunday Mirror. • To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000. If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly “for publication”. • To get the latest media news to your desktop or mobile, follow MediaGuardian on Twitter ] and Facebook Daily Mirror Newspapers & magazines National newspapers Newspapers Phone hacking Trinity Mirror Piers Morgan James Robinson guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Jessica Alba Talks Babies

Actress and mom Jessica Alba talks about her second pregnancy and how her daughter Honor is growing up on location. (Aug. 3)

Continue reading …
Memorial Clear-out in Front of Oslo Cathedral

Crews are starting to clear flowers and other items placed in front of Oslo’s main cathedral as a memorial following the July 22 attacks in Norway. But the mementos are being sorted before they’re being dumped. (Aug. 2011)

Continue reading …
Pat Buchanan refuses to apologize: ‘Calling Obama ‘your boy’ was not a slur’

Click here to view this media MSNBC’s Pat Buchanan refused to apologize Wednesday for telling Al Sharpton that President Barack Obama was his “boy.” “Lemme tell ya, your boy, Barack Obama, caved in on it in 2010 and he’ll cave in on it again,” Buchanan had told Sharpton Tuesday . “Let me clarify something that happened last night on the Al Sharpton show,” Buchanan said Wednesday morning on MSNBC. “A very spirited discussion, I was asked who was the big losers in these battles and the big winners, and I said one of the big losers, using boxing terminology, was ‘your boy,’ and I meant the president of the United States.” “Rev. Sharpton said my boy is the president of the United States and he’s doing a rope-a-dope in the Ali fashion and he’s going to finish off your crowd. Now this was taken, some folks took what I said as some kind of slur. None was meant, none was intended, none was delivered, for the record,” he added. Buchanan didn’t explain what he had meant Tuesday when he wrote that “the Tea Party ‘Hobbits’ are indeed returning to Middle Earth — to nail the coonskin to the wall.” UPDATE : John Amato: Buchanan knows how to use coded words to make racist points since he’s been around the Southern Strategy a long time. And his long history of bigotry is well documented so he’s someone that will never get the benefit of the doubt.

Continue reading …
OCZ’s Z-Drive R4 PCIe SSD offers 2,800MB/sec, 500,000 IOPS, plenty of thrills

Hard to believe that we spotted OCZ Technology’s original Z-Drive at CeBIT 2009. Just over two full years have passed, and already we’ve seen the 600MB/sec claims offered on that fellow eclipsed by a few successors . Today, the latest in the line is making its debut, with the Z-Drive R4 offering 2,800MB/sec and over 500,000 IOPS with a single SuperScale controller; step up to a dualie, and you’ll see 5,600MB/sec transfer rates coupled with 1.2 million input-output operations per second. Not surprisingly, this guy’s aimed squarely at enterprise users — folks who can genuinely take advantage of the speed, and are willing to pay the unpublished rates (yeah, we asked!) that go along with it. It’s retaining the PCIe-based form factor, and will be shipped in two standard configurations: a half height version designed for space constrained 1U servers and multi-node rackmount servers, and a full height version. Each of those will be made available with SLC / MLC NAND flash memory, and as with all of OCZ’s enterprise kit, customer-specific configurations and functionality are available upon request. Full release is after the break, big spender. Continue reading OCZ’s Z-Drive R4 PCIe SSD offers 2,800MB/sec, 500,000 IOPS, plenty of thrills OCZ’s Z-Drive R4 PCIe SSD offers 2,800MB/sec, 500,000 IOPS, plenty of thrills originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:00:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …
Apple iCloud and iWork beta for iOS hands-on

We’ve had a few weeks to get accustomed to iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion , but one headlining feature has been notably inaccessible since it was unveiled earlier this summer. During his WWDC keynote, Steve Jobs touted iCloud as a service that will sync many of your Apple devices, for free. Macs, iPhones, iPads, and even Windows computers can synchronize documents, contacts, calendar appointments, and other data. You’ll also be able to back up your iOS devices remotely, use an Apple-hosted email account, and store your music in the cloud. Well, this week Apple finally lit up its cloud-based service for developers, letting some of us take a sneak peek at the new service. Apple also announced pricing, confirming that you’ll be able to add annual subscriptions with 10GB ($20), 20GB ($40), or 50GB ($100) of storage ‘atop your free 5GB account. We took our five gig account for a spin, creating documents in Pages , spreadsheets in Numbers , and presentations in Keynote , then accessing them from the iCloud web interface to download Microsoft Office and PDF versions. We also tried our luck at iOS data syncing and the soon-to-be-controversial Photo Stream, so jump past the break for our full iCloud hands-on. Gallery: Apple iCloud and iWork beta hands-on Continue reading Apple iCloud and iWork beta for iOS hands-on Apple iCloud and iWork beta for iOS hands-on originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:48:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …