The Rise of the Planet of the Apes blockbuster reboot is out next week. To celebrate, we revisit the strange and complicated history of primate films – and ask whether we’ve lost our enthusiasm for
Continue reading …‘Explosive device’ strapped to 18-year-old daughter of wealthy businessman turns out to be fake An Australian teenager who was trapped in her Sydney home after a stranger in a balaclava reportedly attached a suspicious device around her neck turned out to be the victim of an elaborate hoax. The deception was only discovered, however, after a 10-hour ordeal. Madeleine Pulver, 18, the daughter of a wealthy business executive, was released after police, taking advice from the British military, managed to remove the device, described as “very elaborate, very sophisticated”. New South Wales state police assistant commissioner Mark Murdoch said this morning that the device was “a very, very elaborate hoax”. “But it was made and certainly gave the appearance of a legitimate improvised explosive device,” he said outside the high school student’s home at Mosman in Sydney. “We had to treat it seriously until we could prove otherwise and that’s exactly what we did and that’s why it took so long.” The alarm had earlier been raised at 2.30pm Australian time on Wednesday and streets were closed to traffic near the home of William Pulver, chief executive of the technology company Appen, and his wife Belinda in the wealthy north shore suburb of Mosman. Murdoch said it was too early to say whether the device had been placed as part of an extortion attempt. “It was affixed to her by a chain or something similar, which took us a fair while to remove … and that added to the trauma that Madeleine experienced,” Murdoch said, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. “There were some instructions left by the offender at the scene and those instructions will provide us with further lines of inquiry,” Murdoch told ABC radio. The teenager was reunited with her parents, who had been kept out of the house during the rescue for their own safety. She was taken to hospital for an examination and released at 3am local time. “She’s good. She’s been kept in a very uncomfortable position. She has been and will be uncomfortable for a little while to come,” he said. “The family are at a loss to explain this,” said Murdoch. “You would hardly think someone would go to this much trouble if there wasn’t a motive behind it.” It was, he added, one of the most bizarre cases he had seen in his career. The investigation was being led by the robbery and serious crime squad. The Australian newspaper reported that police confirmed the teenager had “interaction with the person who was responsible” for placing the device. There were unconfirmed reports that a man wearing a balaclava had broken into the house and strapped a device he claimed was a bomb to the teenager’s neck or wrist. One report said he told her he could trigger it by remote control, and that it had a microphone attached enabling him to hear what she was saying. Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported that police believed a ransom note was attached to the girl’s neck, but bomb disposal officers had been unable to read it. Friends of Pulver, who is believed to attend a private school and to be taking her Higher School Certificate, were said to have gathered at the police cordon during the incident. Appen, the company her father works for, provides linguistics technologies to companies including Microsoft, Google and Nokia. The family are reported to be among the wealthiest in Sydney. Australia Caroline Davies Lizzy Davies guardian.co.uk
Continue reading …Vanessa Marano and Katie Leclerc, stars of the new ABC Family drama ‘Switched At Birth,’ talk about playing awkward teens and how sign language plays an important part on the show. (Aug. 3)
Continue reading …SYDNEY, Aug 4 (Reuters) – A young Australian woman was freed from a suspected bomb collared around her neck early on Thursday after 10 hours of drama that lasted past midnight and captivated the nation with police saying they were still investigating the incident. The 18-year-old had been trapped for hours in a house in Mosmon, one of Sydney’s most exclusive neighborhoods, in what media speculated was an extortion plot. “We have secured the release of the young lady. She is safe and sound, she is being reunited with her parents as we speak. Our investigation of the crime scene will now begin in earnest,” New South Wales assistant police commissioner Mark Murdoch told reporters. The police said they were dealing with a “very elaborate, very sophisticated device” which they had not been able to confirm as an explosive. He said the young woman had interaction with the person the police believed to be responsible for the scare, but could not confirm a ransom note had been left at the scene, as media had reported. “You’d hardly think that someone would go to this much trouble if there wasn’t a motive behind it. What that motive is, as I’ve indicated, we are still not aware,” Murdoch said. Police consulted with several Australian agencies as well as the British military to release the woman, he said, and bomb experts were familiar with the type of device used. (Rebekah Kebede with additional reporting by Jill Gralow; Editing by Ron Popeski and Ed Lane) Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.
Continue reading …SYDNEY, Aug 4 (Reuters) – A young Australian woman was freed from a suspected bomb collared around her neck early on Thursday after 10 hours of drama that lasted past midnight and captivated the nation with police saying they were still investigating the incident. The 18-year-old had been trapped for hours in a house in Mosmon, one of Sydney’s most exclusive neighborhoods, in what media speculated was an extortion plot. “We have secured the release of the young lady. She is safe and sound, she is being reunited with her parents as we speak. Our investigation of the crime scene will now begin in earnest,” New South Wales assistant police commissioner Mark Murdoch told reporters. The police said they were dealing with a “very elaborate, very sophisticated device” which they had not been able to confirm as an explosive. He said the young woman had interaction with the person the police believed to be responsible for the scare, but could not confirm a ransom note had been left at the scene, as media had reported. “You’d hardly think that someone would go to this much trouble if there wasn’t a motive behind it. What that motive is, as I’ve indicated, we are still not aware,” Murdoch said. Police consulted with several Australian agencies as well as the British military to release the woman, he said, and bomb experts were familiar with the type of device used. (Rebekah Kebede with additional reporting by Jill Gralow; Editing by Ron Popeski and Ed Lane) Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.
Continue reading …McAfee says it’s uncovered the biggest hack in history with Operation Shady RAT, in which at least 70 governments and businesses around the world were breached. At Naked Security , expert Graham Cluley isn’t quite ready to join the frenzied coverage. “To be honest, there’s nothing particularly surprising in McAfee’s report…
Continue reading …Type: CE Title: Brother Printer HL2270DW Wireless Monochrome Printer See all customer reviews Product Description: The hl-2270dw is a compact, monochrome laser printer with built-in wireless and ethernet network interfaces for small office or home office printer sharing. it features a fast print speed up to 27ppm, automatic duplex printing for two-sided documents, and up to 2400 x 600 dpi resolution for high-quality output. in addition, the printer’s stylish, space-saving design fits virtually anywhere.the hl-2270dw provides flexible paper handling via an adjustable, 250-sheet capacity tray and a manual by-pass slot for printing thicker media. it also offers a high-yield 2,600-page replacement toner cartridge to help lower operating costs and a toner save mode for less critical business documents. Features: Prints up to 27ppm Built-in wireless and Ethernet network interfaces Automatic duplex printing for two-sided documents Adjustable, 250-sheet capacity paper tray 32MB memory standard See the details
Continue reading …YouTube Fantasy Football / Killer Dance Moves Student Portal lorenaplotz says: What happen with google voice, nexus s, osi umenyiora, yahoo . com sign in , … ?
Continue reading …If you’re an abiding RIM fan who’s itching for a new ‘Berry addiction, your next fix is soon at hand. After AT&T put its cards on the table — along with Sprint and US Cellular — an internal T-Mobile document now suggests the Bold 9900 will arrive at the Magenta-clad carrier on August 29th. Sadly, your patience (and loyalty) is going to cost you, because this touchscreen endeavor carries a $300 price tag, and like Ma Bell’s model, it features only 14.4Mbps HSDPA. Sure it’s steep, but that’s all the better for expensing to the corporate account, no? BlackBerry Bold 9900 appears in leaked T-Mo docs, reveals August 29th release date and $300 price originally appeared on Engadget on Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:06:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink
Continue reading …Emanuel Cleaver made quite a stir the other day when he called the debt ceiling deal a “ sugar-coated Satan sandwich ,” but he’s sticking by the remark—and even elaborating on it. In an interview this morning on Morning Joe, the host playfully asked what was in the Satan Sandwich. Clearly…
Continue reading …