Home » Archives by category » News (Page 2353)

Monkeys at a British zoo have developed a way of saying “leave me alone” that doesn’t involve biting or flinging poop. The mandrills cover their eyes—much like in the “see no evil” gesture—when they desire solitude, and their fellow monkeys respect the signal, the Telegraph reports. Researchers believe…

Continue reading …

Nasdaq%3anflx

No Comment
Nasdaq%3anflx

Buy Netflix on the Dip [NBC 7-26-2011] CBS And Netflix Reach Deal For International Audiences Netflix – Buy or Sell [NBC 7-25-2011] iStockAnalyst says: Is Amazon’s New Tablet The Ipad’s First True Challenge?: While Apple ( Nasdaq : AAPL) and Netflix ( Nasdaq : NFLX ) g… http://bit.ly/n87MjY

Continue reading …

Lady Gaga

No Comment
Lady Gaga

‪Lady Gaga – Judas (H. Vice Remix) (Dubstep) 1080p HD‬‏ Count on me Singapore -Dr Tan Cheng Bock [www.keepvid.com].mp4 Brotherhood 2 by Pe4a | A CSS Fragmovie CassBaba says: Oluwatele RT @ ALAYOjr : Kilo wa sele RT “CassBaba: I’m not really a Lady Gaga fan tho.”

Continue reading …

Type: Sports Title: Slap Hat Extreme Self Defense Cap See all customer reviews Product Description: This standard baseball cap is one the most simple, least noticeable, and efficient personal defense items on the market. The secret of this hat is a pocket of unique impact material that is 100% the density of lead and which is sewn into the cap. Simply use the bill as the handle and the cap becomes an instant impact weapon to be used against a threat. Simple, fast, and effective! The cap includes Velcro adjustment to fit all sizes. Features: Effective Personal Defense Hat Weighted Impact Material Velcro Size Adjustment Great for Self-Defense Affordable and Collectible See the details

Continue reading …
Mayer Hawthorne – “A Long Time” Video

While Mayer impressed with the lead single to his Universal debut How Do You Do, the new video for “A Long Time” might even be better. Comprised of vintage VHS clips from a Detroit/Highland Park public access version of Soul Train during the ’80s ingeniously called The New Dance Show, this nostalgic snapshot captures prosperity Broadcasting platform : Vimeo Source : The Smoking Section Discovery Date : 04/08/2011 23:05 Number of articles : 5

Continue reading …
Italy demands to know if Libya blockade warship ignored refugees

After rescue of 370 people by Italian coastguards, Rome asks Nato to investigate if Libyans were left in peril at sea Italy has demanded that Nato inquire into a report that an alliance warship blockading Libya repeatedly ignored pleas to help several hundred distressed and dying asylum seekers who were stranded at sea after fleeing the wartorn country. It is the first time Rome has taken such an initiative since the start of the fighting in Libya when people began fleeing across the Mediterranean in often unseaworthy vessels. Most of the more than 24,000 refugees have arrived on the Italian island of Lampedusa, angering and embarrassing Silvio Berlusconi’s rightwing government, which won power vowing to block illegal immigration. Italy’s foreign minister, Franco Frattini, has asked his country’s permanent representative to Nato to open a debate on whether to amend the alliance’s mandate so that it covers “those who for reasons of war are forced to flee on boats, putting their personal safety at risk”. In May, Nato denied an earlier report by the Guardian that its warships had left dozens of Africans to die aboard another vessel drifting off the Libyan coast. Rome’s move follows the rescue by Italian coastguards of 370 people in conditions of extreme distress on an overcrowded boat inside Libya’s search and rescue area on Thursday. One body was found aboard the vessel and a survivor said dozens of other corpses had been thrown overboard. About 50 people were taken to hospital on Lampedusa suffering from shock, exhaustion and severe dehydration. Two were reportedly in a critical condition. A Nato spokesman in Brussels told the Guardian that it was not clear whether the boat from which they were rescued was the one allegedly refused assistance. “There were a couple of incidents, and we are trying to sort out which incident this refers to,” he said. “We are waiting for confirmation from our military colleagues in Naples.” At allied maritime command in Naples, a spokesman said: “Nato always responds and intervenes in cases of emergency, in compliance with international law. “The commanders of the ships in service with the alliance are well aware of these laws and respect the Solas [International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea] rules.” According to one survivor, the migrants rescued on Thursday had set off from the Libyan coast the previous Friday. After their boat’s engine failed, they were seen by a Cypriot tugboat which tried to help. But some of the migrants flung themselves overboard in an attempt to reach the tug and the boat’s captain – apparently fearing that the movement of people aboard the vessel might overturn it – pulled away and alerted the Italian authorities. The Italian news agency, Ansa, citing informed sources, said search and rescue officials relayed the SOS to a Nato vessel 30 miles from the imperilled boat. But, said the report, they did not get “positive responses”. It was not until Thursday morning that four coastguard patrol boats and a helicopter were dispatched from Lampedusa, 100 miles to the north. Federico Bricolo, chief whip in the Italian senate representing the Northern League, the junior partner in Berlusconi’s coalition, said: “Nato must understand it is not there just to shell Libyan cities.” He said it should “block vessels departing those coasts and send them back”. Refugees Nato Libya Arab and Middle East unrest Middle East Africa Italy Silvio Berlusconi Europe John Hooper guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …
Bothaina Kamel: Egypt’s first female presidential candidate

Celebrity broadcaster apparently stands little chance of replacing Hosni Mubarak. Why then does she so worry the establishment? Back when she was a cub reporter, Bothaina Kamel worked on a radio show called The Egypt We Don’t Know. “I travelled all over the country collecting various songs, community traditions, local ideas about the Nile or the desert,” says the 49-year-old. “On reflection, I think it was the most important programme I’ve ever been involved in.” Kamel’s latest project – a bid to become president of the Arab world’s most populous country – does not have a formal title yet, but if it did, The Egypt We Don’t Know might be appropriate. The celebrity broadcaster turned political warrior may be the first woman in modern Egyptian history to run for the country’s leadership, but it is Egypt’s other marginalised groups – from Coptic Christians to Nubians and Bedouins, those who struggle to find a voice in the bellicose arena of national politics – who Kamel believes will benefit most from her run for office. “By putting myself forward I am making this democratic right – the right of a woman to be president – a concrete reality, and that alters expectations,” she says of her candidacy. “No one expected a revolution would topple Mubarak, but it happened. We can win, but even if we don’t we are winning every day just by being out here, changing people’s perspectives.” It has been a week of changing perspectives in Egypt. The sight of Hosni Mubarak, the man Kamel hopes to replace being wheeled into a metal cage in a prison uniform, a man who at the beginning of this year counted among the most omnipotent and entrenched dictators in the world, has the potential to transform the patriarchal relationship between ruler and ruled that has long dominated much of the region. “The moment Mubarak received his legal summons, officially accusing him of said crimes, the most important nail in the coffin of Middle Eastern cult-of-personality and leader-worship was finally hammered,” wrote Egyptian blogger Bassem Sabry in a widely circulated post calling time on the Middle East’s oppressive autocrats. “All those men knew that the end of life as they were used to it has finally come, forever. Governments are for the people, not the other way around; the people own their countries, not the regimes.” That sentiment resonates strongly with Kamel, a former presenter of an early-hours radio show called Night-time Confessions who went on to work for a Saudi-owned satellite network before being unceremoniously dumped earlier this year. Since she announced back in April her intention to compete in Egypt’s first ever democratic presidential elections, her efforts to recalibrate the balance between state and society have come under sustained attack from many directions, not least the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) whom Kamel accuses of being an enemy of the revolution. “At Abbasiya [an anti-SCAF demonstration in Cairo last month which came under attack by armed civilians] they almost killed me – people told me afterwards that some of the baltagiyya [paid thugs] were asking for me by name,” she claims. “The army stood by and watched it happen, and then later that night [Egypt's de facto interim leader] Field Marshal Tantawi appeared on national television thanking the ‘brave people’ of Abbasiya who stopped the outlaws. We are not outlaws, we are revolutionaries! They are the outlaws and thugs, they are Mubarak’s regime, and they are as low and dirty as ever.” That kind of language is bold, even among reformist activists who have turned against the military in recent weeks and opened up a volatile legitimacy gap at the heart of Egypt’s post-Mubarak transition. But Kamel’s bombastic tone – “victor or martyr” is how she views herself when stepping out each day on to the streets – dovetails with her personal engagement with potential voters and an attention to specifics, from suspected abuses by intelligence agents in the north Cairo neighbourhood of Shubra to obscure links between particular security generals and high-flying businessmen. She may have barely 1,000 supporters on her Facebook site (presidential rival Mohamed ElBaradei boasts a quarter of a million), but there is something about Kamel that seems to spook Egypt’s powers-that-be – and it involves a lot more than her gender. “Unlike every single time an unknown activist or some adjunct professor decides to make a ‘symbolic run’ in some Arab country, Kamel’s candidacy carries more weight than many observe – even though she has no realistic chance of winning,” says Sabry. He believes that her high-profile public persona as a TV star coupled with impeccable opposition credentials have put her in a unique position – Kamel was involved in the Kefaya (Enough) movement for political reform from its early days in 2005 and is the first presidential hopeful to break the taboo on criticising Egypt’s armed forces. “At a time when political and social values are being rewritten … the shockwaves of a legitimate female candidacy could be massive,” he says. Fundamentally, Kamel views herself as a challenge to the culture of secrecy that permeates the top brass of the military, an institution which was closely invested in the regime of its former commander-in-chief Mubarak, and whose material interests could be threatened by any radical reform. The sensitivity of this issue was highlighted at the dramatic trial opening of Mubarak and his one-time interior minister Habib el-Adly, when state TV cameras inadvertently captured army officers seemingly bowing and scraping to the defendants as they left the courtroom. “I’m transparent,” says Kamel, “and although I’m now a politician I still think that value is more important than anything else.” Like most of her rivals for Mubarak’s job, Kamel has yet to outline a concrete policy framework, preferring to deal in either grand sweeping rhetoric or micro-detail, with very little in between. Her strength, she contends, lies in personal connections; her biggest criticism of Mubarak personally is his “arrogance and disrespect for the Egyptians all around him”, and even ElBaradei is dismissed by Kamel as someone who deals with ordinary people avec des gants (with gloves on). The road ahead will not be easy; while her status as the first female presidential candidate earned news coverage abroad, her campaign remains almost invisible at home when set alongside those of frontrunners such as former Arab League chief Amr Moussa or Islamic scholar Mohammad Salim al-Awa. Officials have thrown every smear they can in her direction, from claims that she was buying up land in the desert oasis of Fayyoum to carry out illegal excavations for valuable antiquities (Kamel says she was actually in Fayyoum for an anti-poverty initiative) to suggestions that she hands out “fistfuls of dollars” to participants at reformist demonstrations. “I don’t expect anything,” she says when asked to rate her chances of success in the presidential poll, which is likely to take place next year. “If you have no expectations, then you will find the good in whatever transpires.” She tells a story about a recent trip to the city of Suez, the site of violent crashes between civilians and police over the past few months. “I just came and listened and tried to help, and by the end of it people were chanting, ‘Long live the woman!’ It doesn’t matter to Egyptians whether someone is a woman or a man, what’s important is whether it’s someone who can understand and help them. The revolution has made Egyptians feel free, and that’s why I’m running for president.” Egypt Arab and Middle East unrest Hosni Mubarak Middle East Africa Mohamed ElBaradei Jack Shenker guardian.co.uk

Continue reading …

Despite the media hype, American taxpayers still stand to lose a bundle from the government takeover of General Motors, thanks in large measure to the lack of credibility the company’s Obama-mandated obsession with the unpopular Chevrolet Volt: GM announced earnings this morning and the numbers appeared to be good on the surface. Media friends of GM trumpeted the good news but the celebration did not last long. The festive mood was replaced with GM apologists trying to explain the negative share price reaction.The obvious overhang of UAW obligations seemed to be ignored, as did the lack of management credibility. One TV commentator known for his defense of GM attributed the sell-off to “bankruptcy fatigue”, claiming that investors are still punishing GM for its trip through bankruptcy. Nonsense. The people who control the big money on Wall Street are not concerned with the past actions of a corporation as much as they are with actions that give an indicator of what the future holds. The problem with GM is not that it suffers from “bankruptcy fatigue”, but rather “credibility fatigue.” Current management has claimed that future growth would be driven by China and the Chevy Volt. China is a small portion of GM’s profitability and the Volt loses money for GM. Recent statements out of GM that dismal sales of the Volt were due to the fact that dealerships had “virtually” no inventory have been exposed as dishonest. Another comment by CEO, Dan Akerson, about cash on the balance sheet of 35 to 40 billion dollars is also inaccurate. Cash and cash equivalents are about 20 billion dollars. Of course GM might claim that it all depends upon your definition of “cash.”

Continue reading …
Sirius XM 2.0 launching later this year, bringing on-demand Howard Stern to your car in 2013

During its quarterly earnings call, Sirius finally gave the world some info about its upcoming Sirius XM Satellite 2.0 service. For those of you who can’t get enough Underground Garage and Howard Stern, version 2.0 will pack more programing and you’ll be able to pause and rewind broadcasts. Starting next year, the company will offer personalized music stations, similar to Pandora, and on-demand listening, in case you missed a particularly juvenile funny Opie & Anthony bit. The first two pieces of hardware will be landing before the end of the year, but don’t expect to find a Sirius XM 2.0 option at your car dealership for a while — vehicles won’t be getting the upgraded hardware until 2013. Sirius XM 2.0 launching later this year, bringing on-demand Howard Stern to your car in 2013 originally appeared on Engadget on Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:41:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds . Permalink

Continue reading …

So many big investors are fleeing stock market turmoil for the safety of bank accounts that money market rates have dropped below zero and large amounts of cash have become a nuisance for at least one institution. Bank of New York Mellon, which specializes in handling cash for corporations and…

Continue reading …